Please help!!! Lock down with goose eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by insmokesimage, Feb 20, 2013.

1. insmokesimage

insmokesimage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Well, I have 2 goose eggs that I put in the bator at the same time as my chicken eggs. They are both growing well but what should I do when I put the bator into lock down this Friday! If the eggs should be turned at least 3 times a day what will happen to my goose eggs if they are not turned. Can I still open the bator and turn the goose eggs or should I just leave them and hope for the best.[​IMG] I do not have another bator. This is my first time doing this and didn't think about the lock down stage when placing my goose eggs. Please help!

2. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    I would have to say to either get a second bator, or put the chicken eggs on lockdown and hope for the best for the goose eggs... Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

3. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Not ever opening the incubator when the eggs are on "lockdown" is overrated IMO. I frequently open my hatcher to add eggs. I have also candled eggs in there when I have concerns. I wouldn't take the top off but just lift it and turn the eggs and then close it.

4. chickenwing661

chickenwing661 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Bakersfield Ca
    Same here. Lock down I think is over rated. I have 3 dozen eggs in the hatching tray and another 10 dozen on the top 2 trays that I turn twice a day. This morning my three dozens began hatching

5. insmokesimage

insmokesimage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys! I really do appreciate it! Can't wait for my babies to hatch!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by