Please help..loosing my chickens =(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by foxyk91, Jul 11, 2011.

1. foxyk91

foxyk91 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Groton, NY
    I'm so confused [​IMG] My chicks range from 8 weeks to 15 weeks. When I bought the older chicks...1 just never seemed right. She was always tired & then couldn't use one of her legs. After much effort to save her with vitamins etc. weeks later she died. After she died another one acted the same way & died etc. They start out acting totally fine, then all of a sudden act tired all the time, some seem to display hurt legs that turn stiff & some don't. Some will then lay on there sides & be dead the next day & some just seem to stay alive for weeks & weeks. They all get the same brand food..vitamins..grit etc. I even switched my feed thinking my feed might of had something to do with it but apparently not. I make them scrambled eggs, bought them plain yogurt, watermelon etc. They get plenty of fresh water & grass everyday. My bedding is cleaned daily of pine shavings. They have a very nice place to live with plenty of room & perches. My oldest chicks were never vaccinated for Mareks disease but the younger ones all were & the younger ones are still getting sick so I dont think its that. They all got 2 weeks of medicated water for cocci when they arrived here. What is going on???? Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Look up symptoms for Mareks. I HIGHLY recommend getting a necropsy done on at least one of your birds. [​IMG]

3. foxyk91

foxyk91 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Groton, NY
    If they were vaccinated for Mareks can they still get it??

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:No vaccine is.100%, not even for people. [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If a vaccinated chick was exposed to other chickens prior to the vaccine or less than 2 weeks after, the chick can get it. And even vaccinated, they can be carriers.
    The vaccine will protect the chick from the tumors, not other strains that don't cause the tumors. Generally, I don't know if the paralysis or wasting away, caused by inflamed nerves is covered since there are no tumors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by