Please help! Male quail with injured eyes

j4e1o

Hatching
May 6, 2021
I got 9 coturnix quail about two months ago. The seller claimed they were all hens but I noticed that during this mating season, one of them are male. Possibly because the ratio is off, the females have injured the male. As seen in the two photos below, his eyes are injured and swollen over causing blindness. I’m not so sure about the left eye, but i can still see a bit of his right.
B05117F7-31F2-4790-B6A1-16FEF3C883E1.jpeg
105B6B90-892E-4CCC-B8A7-791B657B6FCF.jpeg

I’m also scared it’s coryza but wouldnt it be more swollen? If it does indeed to be coryza, what can I do to treat it and what should I do with the surviving quail?
I have separated for now and I’m watching him. Any tips on treatment? I appreciate any help! Thank you.

Keep him clean, separate him and see how he looks in a couple of days. If it's injury, he'll improve in that time.

His nares don't appear swollen, so it's probably not coryza, but if you suspect it, I would take it to a vet. They can confirm for certain and give treatment for him and the rest of your covey.

I got 9 coturnix quail about two months ago. The seller claimed they were all hens but I noticed that during this mating season, one of them are male. Possibly because the ratio is off, the females have injured the male. As seen in the two photos below, his eyes are injured and swollen over causing blindness. I’m not so sure about the left eye, but i can still see a bit of his right.View attachment 2689055View attachment 2689056
I’m also scared it’s coryza but wouldnt it be more swollen? If it does indeed to be coryza, what can I do to treat it and what should I do with the surviving quail?
I have separated for now and I’m watching him. Any tips on treatment? I appreciate any help! Thank you
I had a hen with an eye condition similar, and I never took her to the vet, the only thing I did was seperate her at feeding time but apart from that she was fine. And I’m proud to say after two weeks there was no eye/eye socket. The skin had merged from the corners of the eye. So now she is just a healthy hen with one eye.

I had a hen with an eye condition similar, and I never took her to the vet, the only thing I did was seperate her at feeding time but apart from that she was fine. And I’m proud to say after two weeks there was no eye/eye socket. The skin had merged from the corners of the eye. So now she is just a healthy hen with one eye.
But i would isolate her for a week, in case she gets injured further more.

But i would isolate her for a week, in case she gets injured further more.
Actually, as of yesterday I noticed that his right eye has completely healed as well! So now he’s not completely blind and quite healthy. :) thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom