please help me and my cat! we dont know what it is *pics*

no, we arnt using anything on him that would of caused it. at first we thought our other cats did something to him but it seems like hes doing it to himself. so far we didnt try any of the suggestions yet because we had no time but im going to try some things today

these pictures are a little better. it seems like it got a little worse today
97616_dscf0059.jpg

97616_dscf0060.jpg

we didnt go to the vet yet i wanted to but we never did.. i just put a bandana around his neck though so he doesnt scratch it

My cat recently had a hot spot, it never got infected but the skin was broken; it was Thanksgiving day and no vets were open when I first discovered it or I'd have taken her to have it checked out.

But, 'cause the vet was not around, I first put neosporin on it, then used some of the Vetracyn spray that I'd bought when one of my hens had a bad cut (Vetracyn makes med specifically for hotspots but I just had the regular). I also started adding salmon oil to her food (both cats were starting to get flaky skin I think the dry winter air wasn't doing them any good). I kept at the vetracyn/neosporin thing for a few days and by sunday it was looking better so I never went to the vet (if it had been infected I probably would have pushed to get her in to see them on Friday). That process did clear it up, took less than a week (but longer for the fur to grow back).

Also, I'm continuing to add the salmon oil to their food thru the winter months as I am pretty sure that the dry air was the cause for my baby; as someone said knowing the cause is very important you don't want to clear one hot spot only to have more occur.

Last edited:
Quote:
You should shave the fur down around the area so that the air can get to the hot spot, it will help it heal faster. You can also try Chlorpheniramine Maleate tablets for the itching. My one cat will get hot spots every fall, I think maybe it has to do with the leaves, once they start to fall, her spots start popping up. These help with the itching and you can get them over the counter in walmart/cvs, etc. http://www.atozvetsupply.com/Chlorpheniramine-Maleate-Tablets-p/729-pdcm.htm The dosage out vet gave was 2mg twice a day. http://www.cat-health-guide.org/cat-hot-spots.html

Last edited:
Looks like he also has a small sore at the corner of his mouth, if so, I would suggest you get him to a vet.

Also I agree with the trimming the hair to let the air get to it to dry it out.

sulfadine helps (yellow spray). I use it on alot of things. Works on urine burn on one of my rabbits. (had it when I got him).

If it's ring worm, an anti fungal cream like for Athletes foot.

Back
Top Bottom