Please help me choose a breed- Vote for either Khaki or Appleyard plz!

Ok, to me it appear Muscovies are a favourite. Just need final confirmation that they have the traits I want.
big_smile.png

Muscoys are good, but they do not lay meny eggs, and the looks are something to be desired. i have khaki campbells, and i could'nt be happier with them, they lay loads, really friendly, rarely fly, can be tamed easily. The only thing is that they don't go broody as a rule. but they can. but i see you have chickens. They can be used to hatch and raise the duckling. I just have to say, you cannot go wrong with khaki cambells. Take my word for it. if you look at the link below it will take you to my website. and hopfully help you make a desicion. if you want a drake you have to have a minimum of 2 duck. I hope i helped. heres a pic of mine.

3156983.jpg

Thanks. I was thinking about 3 ducks and a drake. Yes, I have heard that chickens can hatch out ducklings, however, is there anything cuter than seeing a mama duck with loads of little ducklings following?
smile.png
It appears that Muscovies or Khaki Campbell should be my choice. Whatever one is available I will get. Thanks everyone for your help
big_smile.png

A good broody and brilliant egglayer- soon to be decided.
tongue.png
smile.png

If your really set on having a good egg layer, the muscovy is NOT the way to go, as they don't lay very much. But Turning down the Khaki just because it does not go broody, would be a mistake. Also they look so much nicer than the muscovy, and the khaki campbell duckling are the cutest ducklings ever. With duckling, weather with their mother, or with a chicken surogate, they always look adorable. I cannot stress enough how great the khaki campbells are, Take my advise.

8882865.jpg

I have just taken a look at omlet again, and for the breed info for Appleyard, it says they are good egg layers, slightly less than Khaki's,

Appearance: *****

Friendliness: ****

Hardiness:**** and a half

Egg: **** and a half

Garden**** and a half

*= stars from reiews.

Quote from http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/minapp.htm
Kept as pairs or alternatively trios ..depending upon the drakes energy levels. They lay one possibly two clutches per year.......thus will not sit and brood if the eggs are removed. Excellent fliers as are all bantam ducks clip or net new stock until familiar with the territory.

ETA: Apparently they also make great mothers and broodies
wink.png

Last edited:
Sixty percent of the ducks in your neighboring country of France are muscovies. French chefs love them for their culinary properties, as do I.

http://www.grimaud.com/

http://www.grimaudfarms.com/

I too question about how well they are going to lay to meet your expectations. The winters here in the Michigan Upper Peninsula are quite harsh, and they will generally begin laying in May and end in September. Any disruptions in their life can cause them to stop laying for two weeks. As you also noted, their warty facial features can be a turn off, and can be considered a face that only a mother could love.

Buff, Khaki or Muscovy

They all brood very well BUT muscovy don't lay year round.

My buff/khaki hen sat 3 nests this year and laid constantly.

My muscovy girls laid well but they would rather brood than lay for you to eat...i know mine went on strike when i continued to collect their eggs.
tongue.png

My 4 final breeds:

Khaki- 3
Muscovy- 1
Appleyard- 2 (got my vote!)
Buff (are these also called Orpingtons?)

Time to vote- somehow I think muscovys are gonna win
wink.png
but considering they dont lay all the time, it will be an interesting outcome
big_smile.png

Edited to add Buff

Last edited:
Another advantage of a muscovy is that you can probably find someone to take excess ducklings off your hands, realizing of course that they may become someone's dinner.

Back
Top Bottom