Please help me decide which of these methods to use for RATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my latest project

I think I would bait the trapped rat with poison then wait till he died, then you don't have to worry about secondary poisoning.

Wicked chicken,

Thank you so much for taking the time to elaborate! It is incredibly kind of you. Chicken people are the best!

Graphic indeed, but I did appreciate your descriptions and the picture. I am actually pretty heartless about the killing, but the thought of the suffering just melts my resolve. I had pet mice as a child, which look enough like rats to get my sympathy.

A final question, for you or anyone who cares to comment...

If I abandon the drowning idea, and decide on the pellet rifle, would it work to live-trap them in a garbage can (36-40" tall?) with food in the bottom. This worked for mice last year (in a smaller trash can) because it was just tall enough to prevent them jumping out. I had been relocating them to a field a quarter mile away, but was told they were probably all coming back anyway. (And, really, who wants to walk your mice out every day?) For mice under the house I switched to a Victor Electronic Multikill and I still get 1-4 mice every night, at which rate I might outrun their birthrate in 2018? But I digress... How high can rats jump? Or perhaps I need to add a lid and put a small (maybe 1 1/4") hole in the lid -- hence they'll be tempted in but cannot jump out. Then I could open it and shoot them? Or place a screen on top and shoot them?

Thanks so much for everyone's ideas and knowledge!

Last edited:
Flock Master 64 - That reminds me of the doorbell I soldered in science class.
I wanted to use it in my house...but I forgot about it when we were building it until it was too late.
th.gif

myback40 - To be honest, I'm not sure how high a rat can jump. The only thing I know is that they can't climb smooth plastic or metal. And that as fast as a mouse is...a rat is that much faster. Ugh!
I've seen You Tube videos on using a tube and a barrel or garbage can where the rats fall into it. But I'm sorry, I don't know the specific height on those.

We've had mice that fall into a five gallon pail and not be able to get out. I would "think" a 77 liter garbage can or bigger would be comparable so they couldn't get out. But that's strictly a guess. I've seen something for mice on You tube...it was a pail with mesh for sides and a small hole in the lid...and the mice just kept falling in.

I greatly dislike having to dispatch the animals I catch. For as harsh or generic as I may have made it sound...I usually cry every time I need to deal with the animals I catch. If not always for the rats, definitely for the raccoons and little foxes. It's definitely not something I look forward to.
sad.png

Thank you for the info on the Victor Electronic multi-kill. I'm going to have to look into that!

We haven't used poison, I'm afraid the chickens will get into it. (they get into everything...lol)

I have the same issue-no problem catching them at all in my humane trap (they can't resist snickers bars) I have even caught a couple when the trap wasn't even set or baited! There is a back way into the trap, basically one rat gets into the trap, eats the bait and brings the trap door down-then other rats are supposed to go in the back way because they see one rat in there-works as I have caught 3 at once sometimes. Anyway, either this rat could still smell the snickers bar in there so went in, or it just went in because I have it right against the wall where they always run along. i catch more than i ever used to, not sure if this is because they have gotten used to the trap being there so are not suspicious of it, or since i baited it with Snickers which they just love.

i had to let that one go because i have not figured out a way to kill them yet. As I already posted about in another thread-I am wanting to use an air rifle but it is not working right now (possibly I'm not using it right) I did consider drowning but people said it was inhumane (I had same issue as you-wanted to pick the most humane death)-I had pet rats and I hate to kill any creature, but there is nothing else that can be done with rats-it's bad to release them elsewhere, bad to not do anything etc. etc just can't win! Anyway, drowning is apparently not an acceptably humane method here in the UK so I think it might even be against the law, but I don't understand how poison can be allowed-surely that is far more inhumane? Wouldn't a drowning death be over in 2-3 minutes? Not pleasant but then what death is? Anyway, if i get the rifle working I will use that and let you know how it worked out-it seems like the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom