Please help me diagnose sick chick! Video included

Bantam Babes

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Illinois

This 2 wk old chick is wobbly, heavy breathing, tires easily, loss of appetite, drinking less, and is sneezing. 2 weeks old. Noticed symptoms 24 hrs ago. Today, noticed other chicks sneezing but none displaying lethargy or loss of appetite. Any ideas on a diagnosis so I can move forward with appropriate treatment? This chick's poop is solid, but you can see another chick's stool is very watery in the video. Brooder temp is around 88-92.

I had been giving electrolytes and nutri-drench. Chick previously was showing signs of coccidiosis including lethargy, huddling, persistent standing, and loss of appetite. Treated with Corid and she improved within 48 hours. Treated with Corid for 5 days. It has been 5 days since last Corid dose, so I removed the electrolyte and vitamins and starting another round of Corid in case but she seems to be having different symptoms now than before.

Last edited:
Try getting them to eat a wet mash-they need to eat

I don't know how long they can get corrid. Probably more than 5 days.

Check the temp in your brooder. Do the chicks huddle under the lamp, get far away as they can, or spread out to sleep? I don't take temps, I let the chicks tell me temp by the way they move away or toward the heat.

If it's dusty they will sneeze.

That's all my guesses for now.

Last edited:
I have a Swedish Flower hen that would act like that when she was just new. I have a Welsummer ordered. They favor in behaviors. Flower is doing just fine. Sometimes she would huddle with the flock and sometimes she would sit by herself. She seemed to sit maybe a little more than the others, but as I watched them they would run around and sit and rest or stand still. As long as she poops and eats and is not poopy butted she may just be testing the flock. I had a lamp over their brooder(dog crate) and put a towel over them at night. After about 2 or 3 days they seemed to get to hot. They were in my kitchen. I turned the light out after a week and a half. They went in the coop at 3 weeks. This was in October. I also live in Tennessee. My bigger girls left them alone for the most part only pecked at them when they were underfoot. NO bad pecking or bleeding. I also use aspen shavings. My first girls had an issue with the pine. Hope this helps a little. We all worry when they are brand new.

Back
Top Bottom