Please help me diagnose this!

mbilal

Hatching
Dec 30, 2020
Hi folks! I just registered for this wonderful forum to get advice/help on diagnosing this illness that took my 3 week's old chicks life yesterday 😭.
1- It all started at roughly 2 weeks after hatching. It shrieked/screamed and then rolled over as if pecked really strongly by some of its siblings. Almost like a seizure. This continued happening for roughly two days every few hours. After every episode it would just close its eyes and rest for a minute or two and then resume its usual activities. Couldn't find anything online with this description. We thought it might be sneezing really hard.
2- Roughly two days later, "seizures" stopped but it started resting on its heels. At this point, we started adding vitamins to their water.
3- One day later, it started looking more and more disoriented. Its beak became disfigured i.e. turned downwards so much so that upper mandible was now shorter than the lower and it had trouble picking up small food particles. We started giving it bigger pallets. It also started pecking at small dots on floors/walls for minutes at stretch as if it had a neurological condition 😥.
4- A day later, it no longer rested on heels but walked heavily disoriented. We thought it was probably start of its recovery. Kept giving vitamins and electrolytes. Specially seeing to it that it was taking food. However, its moments of mental lucidity were getting shorter. Whenever, I would pick it up to bring closer to food, it would close eyes immediately and would only peck at food a good 30 or 40 seconds.
5- Its last 2/3 days were probably just trying to stand properly let alone walk or run like its other siblings. Eventually, it hardly had any life left in it on its 21st day. I tried spoon feeding it a few drops of sugar/salt water but it just went out then and there.
6- I suspect that at least one of its other siblings showed that seizure-like episode but not not more. I am not too sure, however.
7- The beak had also developed a small lump on its side. At birth, its ears were a bit red.
8- Incubation was not the ideal. I suspect the temperature was a bit high. It had hatched on 20th day.
9- I am very new to this and really devastated right now. Can't get to a vet where I live. Got the eggs from a local farm. Please help me diagnose this before I hatch another batch. Thanks a lot.

I'm sorry about your biddie.
I honestly would cull it to prevent it suffering, especially if it is showing signs of neurological issues.
I think that was all a fluke with genetics, I would talk to the people you got the egg's from to see if it could be their genetics.
I don't think there's anything you can do.
A word of advice that's pretty harsh:
Chickens are living things, living things sometimes die, a good pet/ livestock owner needs to know when to put down the Animal if it is suffering or quality of life is gone.

I'm sorry about your biddie.
I honestly would cull it to prevent it suffering, especially if it is showing signs of neurological issues.
I think that was all a fluke with genetics, I would talk to the people you got the egg's from to see if it could be their genetics.
I don't think there's anything you can do.
A word of advice that's pretty harsh:
Chickens are living things, living things sometimes die, a good pet/ livestock owner needs to know when to put down the Animal if it is suffering or quality of life is gone.
I am also inclined towards this being a genetic thing as well because such fast beak deformity cannot probably occur due to malnutrition or infection. You advice is sound that I should probably talk to the people I got the eggs from. Also indeed a good owner should know when to take the decision. Thanks for the reply!!

Back
Top Bottom