Please help me! Do I go to sleep and leave it or make a hole?

Hatcher1997

Chirping
May 1, 2022
Hello, I’m on day 32 of hatching a muscovy egg. Thursday around 4pm I candled the egg before placing into the incubator to lockdown. (Day 30)
This is it here on that day…

Today is Saturday 3am (day 32) and I’m so worried. Because I’ve been told that first video it hadn’t pipped, and I’ve been told it had. (I did see a triangle shape at some point)

And nothings progressed apart from I’m now hearing sounds (thumping watery sounds) and one chirp. The air cell is also bigger. Here’s videos of it just now…

Now, I’ve been told the air sac is of a nice size, no sign of watery bits and seems like it’s breathing. But I’m just not sure. Too early to make a hole? I’m just confused as things online state 24 hours then make a hole if internal pipping hasn’t progressed, but the difference in the videos is huge, it does seem like it’s making more noise now and I hear tapping and can visibly see it’s beak more (I think that’s the beak)

Can someone please offer me some comfort as it’s 3:36am and I don’t know whether to sleep and let it be or make a hole?

Thank you

Hello, I’m on day 32 of hatching a muscovy egg. Thursday around 4pm I candled the egg before placing into the incubator to lockdown. (Day 30)
This is it here on that day…

Today is Saturday 3am (day 32) and I’m so worried. Because I’ve been told that first video it hadn’t pipped, and I’ve been told it had. (I did see a triangle shape at some point)

And nothings progressed apart from I’m now hearing sounds (thumping watery sounds) and one chirp. The air cell is also bigger. Here’s videos of it just now…

Now, I’ve been told the air sac is of a nice size, no sign of watery bits and seems like it’s breathing. But I’m just not sure. Too early to make a hole? I’m just confused as things online state 24 hours then make a hole if internal pipping hasn’t progressed, but the difference in the videos is huge, it does seem like it’s making more noise now and I hear tapping and can visibly see it’s beak more (I think that’s the beak)

Can someone please offer me some comfort as it’s 3:36am and I don’t know whether to sleep and let it be or make a hole?

Thank you
I’m going to go out on a limb here as i have not hatched ducks nor do I own any but have hatched hundreds of chicken chicks. It’s my experience that any chick I assisted ended up being more grief for me than if I had let Mother Nature take its course. They were alive but had severe malformation or intestines on the outside of their body always something. It’s my belief plus I read that if the chick is to weak to peck itself out then it’s probably to weak to survive. This is not always the case but more so than not. I don’t know how many days a duck has to incubate but if it’s not 24-48 hours past hatch day I say leave it. It could have started forming or developing later and just not ready. To me the still shot picture of the air cell looks to big. That does not give any room for it to flip or get untucked or in position to pip and get out. So I would raise the humidity slightly higher than you normally would and let it help soften the shell and membrane more . Let us know how it turns out . I didn’t watch the video only going on the still shot pic for air cell comment.

Please be patient and get some sleep. I don't know muscovies, only chickens, but I know that the waiting can seem like forever. They will need to rest in-between hatching efforts, and once it has internally pipped it can take up to 24 hours to hatch. If you hear tapping and a cheep, then let it be. Keep it in lockdown, don't handle it anymore, and ... wait. It's absorbing the yolk for energy, and blood is still flowing inside the membrane. If you make a hole too soon, it could die.

I’m going to go out on a limb here as i have not hatched ducks nor do I own any but have hatched hundreds of chicken chicks. It’s my experience that any chick I assisted ended up being more grief for me than if I had let Mother Nature take its course. They were alive but had severe malformation or intestines on the outside of their body always something. It’s my belief plus I read that if the chick is to weak to peck itself out then it’s probably to weak to survive. This is not always the case but more so than not. I don’t know how many days a duck has to incubate but if it’s not 24-48 hours past hatch day I say leave it. It could have started forming or developing later and just not ready. To me the still shot picture of the air cell looks to big. That does not give any room for it to flip or get untucked or in position to pip and get out. So I would raise the humidity slightly higher than you normally would and let it help soften the shell and membrane more . Let us know how it turns out . I didn’t watch the video only going on the still shot pic for air cell comment.
So it can take 37 days but I’m on day 32 and it’s already been internally pipping for more than 24 hours now. Although the videos taken just now show noise from the chick, and the beaks fully in the air cell now. Also the picture you’re referencing is a video but that’s day 30. I’m 2 days on from that and to be honest the air cell is bigger than that now. Thank you for your help

Please be patient and get some sleep. I don't know muscovies, only chickens, but I know that the waiting can seem like forever. They will need to rest in-between hatching efforts, and once it has internally pipped it can take up to 24 hours to hatch. If you hear tapping and a cheep, then let it be. Keep it in lockdown, don't handle it anymore, and ... wait. It's absorbing the yolk for energy, and blood is still flowing inside the membrane. If you make a hole too soon, it could die.
Thank you, it’s been over 24 hours of it internally pipping. I’m just worried because I’ve got different opinions, some say it’s good the air cell is so big and it’s breathing and others saying it’s too big and it can’t move to try get itself to externally pip… really confused

How did the hatch go ?
From the second video that was an internal pip the first pictures didn’t look like one just the start of shadowing to make the internal pip
For a few days before internal pip you will see shadowing along the air cell.
Then the air cell will drop down farther on one side. Shortly after that you will see a beak in the air cell meaning the internal pip

Back
Top Bottom