Please help me figure this out

FF

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
Tennessee
To start, I had a little silkie named Phyllis. She literally was like a dog. She somewhat knew her name. When you would say her name real loud, here she came with a little trot and that head bobbing and just clucking away. Every morning she came to our front steps for her piece of bread. She would eat it, and go eating for other bugs, worms, etc like any other chicken would. This is the ONLY chicken I have ever gave this type of treatment to by letting her out, petting her, and she enjoyed it evidentally. The kids loved her to death. We gave her little baths, cut her hair, I guess she was more like a pound and a quarter dog. Everybody loved her and she was by far the best pet chicken anybody in the world could ever ask for. People would stop from the road just to look at her and ask what she was. Well as usual all wonderful things must come to a horrible, horrible end. We went out to give her her piece of bread early this morning and she wasn't there. We yelled her name a couple times and still nothing. That was very strange. So I went out to her little house and there she was. Her little body was nothing. Its very very graphic what I seen for a chicken so I will not go into great detail. Her little body was stripped. She had her little legs, her pelvis, her head and one wing intact. All her little bones were stripped of her muscles. I mean I have never seen this. I have had chickens forever and never seen anything like her. I have little pet chickens get killed but I have never seen anything like what happend to my little Phyllis. Well here come the bad part. I need to know what killed her and her and her 3 little eggs she had. I took 1 egg completely away and ate one right in the middle. It was neatly cracked. Whatever this piece of you know what was got into her house. The opening was only about 12"x 18". Very small because I made it specifically for her. It got in there and ate all of her body. I would like to know what you all think could have got her and what needs to be done. I have 2 traps set and whatever I catch is done. Whatever it is has also been knocking my trash cans over and making a big mess. So they are done. I don'y usually get attached to things very easy but for a chicken she was like a part of the family. So please help me catch this creature and give justice to little Phyllis.Well I guess here come the hard part telling everybody. Thank you all so much!

You could have a coin they did that to one I had a few years ago they can be trapped and taken care of we did my daughter was going out to feed her show feither foot coachan pair before she went to school about two months age and one had gotten in the pin and killed them both and ate the two eggs she had we trapped it and my dad came over and got him and took him off

You could have a coin they did that to one I had a few years ago they can be trapped and taken care of we did my daughter was going out to feed her show feither foot coachan pair before she went to school about two months age and one had gotten in the pin and killed them both and ate the two eggs she had we trapped it and my dad came over and got him and took him off
Did the coon strip everything? I mean every scrape of muscle there was? And I just found a big pile of feathers in the yard with no sign of a body. Looks like mocking bird feathers.

If you mean that her bones were still in place and her wings and her leg bones were still attached to her former self, that only the flesh was stripped away, then my vote goes to a bird of pray.

Raccoons are not that careful or picky eaters. Coons make a terrible mess when they dine on chicken, all the cute suggestions that they are fastidious diners who wash every bite not withstanding. A coon eating a chicken is more like the Three Stooges crashing a Roman feast or orgy than it is like Emily Post dining on wine poached quail at the Savoy.
droolin.gif

Did the coon strip everything? I mean every scrape of muscle there was? And I just found a big pile of feathers in the yard with no sign of a body. Looks like mocking bird feathers.

If an owl can get into a pen it will go in the chicken house and kill chickens so it is possibly an owl. My bet would be a coon though since owls don't knock over garbage cans. Put a trap in the house where the hen was killed because the predator will probably return. I agree that it should be exterminated when caught.

Back
Top Bottom