please help me identify sex of my bsl chicks

tonysamcarson

Hatching
Apr 11, 2016

We are new to this we were told we had bsl chicks...just not the sex of them. If someone could please help that us identify that would be so helpful thanks

All pullets, if they were cockerels they would have white barring.

X 2 - if they are, in fact BSL (Black Sex Links) then these are all pullets. The beauty of a sex link is that they have a sex linked characteristic - in the case of black and red sex links it is their color. Male black sex links have a dot on the top of their head as chicks and feather in barred (black and white pattern) -- female black sex links have no dot and feather in mostly black with copper leakage around the neck, chest and sometimes throughout the body.

That is probably a cockerel my barr roo did the same thing which is how he got the name tailess..was not sure if he was a pullet or roo until wattles came in. BSL roos mostly take from the barr side

^^ this is the one we r concerned about he has a very different tail then the rest

That is a hard one...I need more feathers to see. One thing I have learned about Barred chicks ...chicks when they start to feather show more black then white and most of my chicks who turned out to be female have spots on their face/cheek area

One of my barr babies but the others look the same

Attachments

• 20190829_194725.jpg
    20190829_194725.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 2
The chicks take after the roo...if you breed a RIR roo with barr hens you get a brown/reddish and blk hen...if you breed a barr roo with RIR hens you will get chicks who favor the barr look and not a BSL...plz note Bsl roos favor the barr with the exception they have more of a white tone neck and some splash of brown in the neck..also green tail feathers are likely.

I have a barr roo currently because my BSL roo died protecting the coop...he was beautiful and smart...he was the son I never had my BSL roo...chill and calm but ready to fight if need be...he was the perfect roo...

Back
Top Bottom