Please help me keep Omlet alive!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oesdog, Jul 15, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I am real worried about Omlet this morning. Some of you know how hard we have tried to keep this little one going.
    He was helped to hatch 6 days later than my other chicks.

He had a really bad eye infection for about 2 weeks but it seems on the mend now.

Well yesterday he was fine up an running about but when I went in this morning to check on Blue and Omlet, Omlet wouldn;t get up. He doesn't seem to want to stand on his legs. - What is wrong.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP TELL ME WHAT TO DO I DON:T WANT TO LOST HIM NOW AFTER ALL THESE WEEKS. He was hatched 6th June and has done so well this far.

OESDOG - [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    I've no idea what the problem could be, but as I often post - make sure he is eating enough, it's the quickest way to lose them regardless of what is ailing them.

He's too cute to die.

3. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks - hes been eating just fine as I only have Omlet and Blue in the brooder. Yeah perhaps they are a bit old for the brooder but Omlet has been so ill with the eye and all that. If I part him from Blue, Well Blue goes crazy so I keep them together. He is a real cutie isn;t he! He is still all fluffy and not a feathered up as the rest of the chicks. I made him egg this morning and hand fed him the yulk . We are going to try to get Infant Vitamins today to put in his water. I just don;t want him to die I love him soooooooooo much. [​IMG] ( Actually am hoping hes a hen cause I can;t keep him if hes a roo!) Hes my baby - because he was so ill and we only got him alive by a thread litterally BYC thread!!!!!!!!
    He seems very tired and just plonks down. But just now he got up and stole some egg from blue which was a good sign but he still isn;t up on his feet right. It seems one is a bit more foward and one back. I seem to remember someone else haveing something like that with a chick and it was Vitamin def so that is why I am doing that.

Oesdog [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I saw your other thread. The clear poop is worrisome. Have you checked her crop? Is it going down overnight after filling during the day? Has she been getting grit?

Check the crop, and if it's empty, start the vitamins and special foods to entice her to eat. If it's bulging, do a search for "impacted crop".

Good luck, it can be risky raising chicks that had a really rough start.

5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    What kind of grit - I think the crop is going down ok. She ate egg this morning fine and is now pecking at groun poultry feed. I am worried I don;t want to loss this one its soooo special.

I thought the clear poo was a bit odd. She seemed a bit sore when I lifted her up and wonder if she has hurt herself? Blue and Omlet usually run about the brooder chasing each other but today they are just laying down. Blue is ok though and eating fine just I think worried too!

Omlet is a little better this afternoon as she is up on her feet now and moving about but unsteady. I have been putting the water with vitamins in a dropper and giving it every hour and its made a difference. But I am still worried I mean 24 hrs ago she was fine and I was thinking great we can at last start to think on getting her out of the brooder but now weve taken 10 steps back again.

The chicks outside just eat dirt from the yard and they are fine all real strong.

I am struggling with this . Glad you saw my other thread - did you see my pics of my chicks. It took ages to figure how to do it but little omlet is on that too.

Oesdog - [​IMG] Worried !!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh forgot to say - omlet had another 2 poos but these have green in - ? Not the colour of the vitamin water - dark green? Blue has mucusy poo to today but hers has brown in. What is going wrong sooooooo fast???????

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by