Please help me!!! My female Pekin is missing!

rosie316

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
NW suburbs / Illinois
I have 1 male Goose, 2 drakes (Pekin & Mallard mix), and 1 female Pekin. She disappeared between 11p.m. and 5;30a.m. last night. Is she sitting on an egg somewhere, or did coyotes get her? I apologize, my "stupid smatr phone" is messing up.

I have 1 male Goose, 2 drakes (Pekin & Mallard mix), and 1 female Pekin. She disappeared between 11p.m. and 5;30a.m. last night. Is she sitting on an egg somewhere, or did coyotes get her? I apologize, my "stupid smatr phone" is messing up.
We can't tell you what happened to her, Sorry she is missing though, where was she? locked in a secure run and house or out in the open? if left in the open or in a run that isn't secure most likely a predator, especially if she went missing between the hours you mentioned, most ducks/geese aren't up walking around during those hrs. I'd be working on making a Very secure setup for the ones you have left because if a pred. and sounds like that is what it was, it will be back for the rest. again very sorry for your loss

x2 what Lydia said, no one can tell you what happened for sure. However if the birds are not locked into secure housing at night it was most likely a predator, and they will return for the others most likely as well.

Gosh... I was truely hoping that one response would be that she's hiding on an egg, although I know that Pekins rarely sit. I'm soooo sad. She was the only girl. Hubby hasn't finished their ""Quack Shack" yet (4 months now). I'm a horrible duck mom!

As heartbreaking as this is, it happens more often than we know, ducks/geese/chickens are prime food sources for preds, especially if they are easy to get too, that said you have learned a hard lesson but hopefully one that will spur you on to protecting the rest of your flock, if you don't have their Quack Shack finished then I suggest you lock them some place safe at night till you do. What ever got your girl will be back, or another will take it's place. Thats just the way it is in the wild, something always looking for an easy meal. We have a big responsibility to protect what we hatch, buy or are given when it comes to living things. So sorry.
hugs.gif
Have you been out to look for signs of a strugle? feathers ? and at 4 months old I don't think she would be sitting on an egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom