Please help me SHELL-LESS eggs for 1 month

Pics

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
About a month ago my chicken started to lay eggs that were softer at one point I became shell-less. She lays these shell-less eggs in and I’m spots such as the backyard and under the roosting bar. She has been playing i in a pooping motion. Today she won out in the morning layed the egg white and yolk then a minute later the membranes and stuff. About 3 days ago I started to giv her calcium and vitamin d3 pills, she at some of it. But nothing happened it kept getting worse. Please help me I’m starting to get really worried. EDIT: She looks healthy acts normal and eats well.

Attachments

• AD6EF2C7-40C6-40A1-915B-B43901135FE7.jpeg
    AD6EF2C7-40C6-40A1-915B-B43901135FE7.jpeg
    522 KB · Views: 19
  • EFFBF9DB-67C8-4BAF-A9B7-69B51B2AEA7D.jpeg
    EFFBF9DB-67C8-4BAF-A9B7-69B51B2AEA7D.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 8
  • C53A7CB7-C381-4312-B0F6-4A4046D820C3.jpeg
    C53A7CB7-C381-4312-B0F6-4A4046D820C3.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 5
  • D8EB3D8C-A4BD-4022-9CFF-C34181BC612E.jpeg
    D8EB3D8C-A4BD-4022-9CFF-C34181BC612E.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
About a month ago my chicken started to lay eggs that were softer at one point I became shell-less. She lays these shell-less eggs in and I’m spots such as the backyard and under the roosting bar. She has been playing i in a pooping motion. Today she won out in the morning layed the egg white and yolk then a minute later the membranes and stuff. About 3 days ago I started to giv her calcium and vitamin d3 pills, she at some of it. But nothing happened it kept getting worse. Please help me I’m starting to get really worried.
What exactly do you feed your birds each day?

The first thing to look at is what you feed.
The second is do you have any type of disease in your flock?

I feed them layer feed, water, oyster shells and grit inseperate feeder and treats. I give them mealworms and grains, I have been giving them more than usual and been doin hongs not very smart like putting corn in their feed and oyster shell and grit.
Stop everything but the layer feed and plain water.

How do you know this can be fatal? Also I was trying to give her calcium and vitamin d3 pills and am having a hard time to getting her to eat it. Any tips on that?
If an egg breaks inside of her, this can cause a very serious infection that can be fatal. As for administering the tablet, I am right handed. I take the hen and set her on a table at my left side. I wrap my left arm all the way around her, leaving my arm and body in contact with hers the entire time to help restrain her wings and keep her from backing up or moving forward. Using my left hand, I gently but firmly grab her wattles and pull them down and slip one of my fingers between her beak to hold her mouth open. Ouickly grab the tablet with right hand and put it in the back of her mouth and let go or her wattles so she's able to swallow. I quickly follow up with a small tiny piece of something she loves, to ensure the tablet is swallowed. Of course treats aren't advised but this is one tiny piece just to ensure the pill doesn't get shot back out and across the room 😉 I hope this makes sense. I can try to get pictures if it doesn't. You'll need to be firm but gentle enough that you're restraining her, not squeezing her. Other more knowledgeable and experienced folks probably have better advice

I feed them layer feed, water, oyster shells and grit inseperate feeder and treats. I give them mealworms and grains, I have been giving them more than usual and been doin hongs not very smart like putting corn in their feed and oyster shell and grit.
I agree with @aart. Stop the extras.
Feed them LAYER feed and plain water. That is it.
Make sure the layer type feed is a crumble or a pellet...not a whole grain.

Her moving around quickly is a good thing. Hopefully @azygous @Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive will have a moment to offer their thoughts on this. Just to be on the safe side, do you have access to any broad spectrum antibiotics? I don't feel like she needs them right now, but if you have them on hand, that'd be great. It's always something that is good to have in your first aid kit. When do you leave for your trip?

If an infection were to happen how would I tell? And how would I treat it? I’m giving her calcium and D3 pills (meant for humans) for 3-4 days. Does this sound like a good plan?
I am so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Signs of egg yolk peritonitis are somewhat similar to signs of an egg bound hen. You will likely notice leaking egg matter from the vent and a general overall sluggish bird. You will oftentimes find the bird has passed lash material, their abdomen may be swollen and warm indicating inflammation as well. It's generally treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic. I keep Baytril on hand and would use this, but this antibiotic isn't approved for use in laying hens. I've used it before because it's a strong broad spectrum antibiotic that works whenever many other antibiotics won't. If I use this, eggs are tossed for quite a while. EYP isn't always treatable and oftentimes comes back.

I give the Calcium + VitD3 everyday until the bird is laying normal nicely shelled eggs. At this point, I stop the tablets but, of course, always keep oyster shell and crushed eggshell available as a source of calcium. One of my hens will go through this occasionally. I start the Calcium+VitD3 immediately and continue as stated above.

Again, I apologize for the delay! I hope your bird starts laying nicely shelled eggs very soon.

Good suggestion with an antibiotic, since she may have a reproductive infection. Amoxicillin (fish mox online and in some feed stores) is good. Baytril (enrofloxacin) is sometimes prescribed for this, but it is banned for chickens in the US, although some still use it in a crisis. Crop disorders can result from reproductive issues or infection. Runny poops or messy butts can be a result of either.

Back
Top Bottom