Please help me SHELL-LESS eggs for 1 month

What exactly do you feed your birds each day?

The first thing to look at is what you feed.
The second is do you have any type of disease in your flock?
What diseases should I look out for. The flock looks very healthy.

I've noticed that some of my hens don't like oyster shell for some reason. I started having oyster shell available AND crushed eggshells available at all times. Soft shelled eggs are dangerous. I'd take the advice of the knowledgeable folks that have previously replied and cut out anything other than a complete feed and fresh clean water (with calcium and grit available as well). I wish you the best in finding a solution before this turns into a fatal condition. I'll be cheering you all on

I've noticed that some of my hens don't like oyster shell for some reason. I started having oyster shell available AND crushed eggshells available at all times. Soft shelled eggs are dangerous. I'd take the advice of the knowledgeable folks that have previously replied and cut out anything other than a complete feed and fresh clean water (with calcium and grit available as well). I wish you the best in finding a solution before this turns into a fatal condition. I'll be cheering you all on
How do you know this can be fatal? Also I was trying to give her calcium and vitamin d3 pills and am having a hard time to getting her to eat it. Any tips on that?

How do you know this can be fatal? Also I was trying to give her calcium and vitamin d3 pills and am having a hard time to getting her to eat it. Any tips on that?
If an egg breaks inside of her, this can cause a very serious infection that can be fatal. As for administering the tablet, I am right handed. I take the hen and set her on a table at my left side. I wrap my left arm all the way around her, leaving my arm and body in contact with hers the entire time to help restrain her wings and keep her from backing up or moving forward. Using my left hand, I gently but firmly grab her wattles and pull them down and slip one of my fingers between her beak to hold her mouth open. Ouickly grab the tablet with right hand and put it in the back of her mouth and let go or her wattles so she's able to swallow. I quickly follow up with a small tiny piece of something she loves, to ensure the tablet is swallowed. Of course treats aren't advised but this is one tiny piece just to ensure the pill doesn't get shot back out and across the room 😉 I hope this makes sense. I can try to get pictures if it doesn't. You'll need to be firm but gentle enough that you're restraining her, not squeezing her. Other more knowledgeable and experienced folks probably have better advice

I've noticed the same thing. I started mixing crushed egg shell and oyster together in a feeder, and also discovered that my girls will eat crushed egg shell from my hand. If I know one that recently laid a soft egg, I'll try feeding her some. I also found that the others will usually come and check out what I have, but only take a couple of bits, or none at all, so mine seem good at self regulating. So far that has worked out well for me.
I've noticed that some of my hens don't like oyster shell for some reason. I started having oyster shell available AND crushed eggshells available at all times.

I feed them layer feed, water, oyster shells and grit inseperate feeder and treats. I give them mealworms and grains, I have been giving them more than usual and been doin hongs not very smart like putting corn in their feed and oyster shell and grit.
I agree with @aart. Stop the extras.
Feed them LAYER feed and plain water. That is it.
Make sure the layer type feed is a crumble or a pellet...not a whole grain.

If an egg breaks inside of her, this can cause a very serious infection that can be fatal. As for administering the tablet, I am right handed. I take the hen and set her on a table at my left side. I wrap my left arm all the way around her, leaving my arm and body in contact with hers the entire time to help restrain her wings and keep her from backing up or moving forward. Using my left hand, I gently but firmly grab her wattles and pull them down and slip one of my fingers between her beak to hold her mouth open. Ouickly grab the tablet with right hand and put it in the back of her mouth and let go or her wattles so she's able to swallow. I quickly follow up with a small tiny piece of something she loves, to ensure the tablet is swallowed. Of course treats aren't advised but this is one tiny piece just to ensure the pill doesn't get shot back out and across the room 😉 I hope this makes sense. I can try to get pictures if it doesn't. You'll need to be firm but gentle enough that you're restraining her, not squeezing her. Other more knowledgeable and experienced folks probably have better advice
If an infection were to happen how would I tell? And how would I treat it? I’m giving her calcium and D3 pills (meant for humans) for 3-4 days. Does this sound like a good plan?

Back
Top Bottom