Please help me SHELL-LESS eggs for 1 month

Her moving around quickly is a good thing. Hopefully @azygous @Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive will have a moment to offer their thoughts on this. Just to be on the safe side, do you have access to any broad spectrum antibiotics? I don't feel like she needs them right now, but if you have them on hand, that'd be great. It's always something that is good to have in your first aid kit. When do you leave for your trip?
I’ll be giving the chickens on Thursday.

I know this is a long shot, but I would also think that thin or non existent shells could be due to environmental reasons. Some pesticides and many automobile cleaners/solvents contain Chlorinated Hydrocarbons which even in low levels can affect egg shells. While not in common use today, they can still be found in many products. I once had a good background in Chemistry, but it has been many years since I had any practical uses for it and have probably forgotten a bunch. My chickens like to hang out underneath my truck and a van I have on the property. I shoo them away when I can, but I always worry about them picking up grit that might have oil or solvents on it.

Good luck and I hope you find out what the problem is.

I wanted to inform ever that the chicken is getting better. No dirty vent, empty crop, and a soft shelled egg that is in the nesting box. The egg before was layed randomly and it didn’t hold its shape. I’m still giving her calcium and d3 pills.

Have you given an antibiotic?

I'm not sure what the answer would be. You have given extra calcium for a few days? You can try giving for a few more, but sometimes as mentioned there's a reproductive disorder that is causing the soft shelled eggs.

The photo I saw of the vent, just looked like a little poop? Unless there's a discharge that I missed.

Have you given an antibiotic?

I'm not sure what the answer would be. You have given extra calcium for a few days? You can try giving for a few more, but sometimes as mentioned there's a reproductive disorder that is causing the soft shelled eggs.

The photo I saw of the vent, just looked like a little poop? Unless there's a discharge that I missed.
No antibiotic.

About a month ago my chicken started to lay eggs that were softer at one point I became shell-less. She lays these shell-less eggs in and I’m spots such as the backyard and under the roosting bar. She has been playing i in a pooping motion. Today she won out in the morning layed the egg white and yolk then a minute later the membranes and stuff. About 3 days ago I started to giv her calcium and vitamin d3 pills, she at some of it. But nothing happened it kept getting worse. Please help me I’m starting to get really worried. EDIT: She looks healthy acts normal and eats well.
Oh no, Hope you can get it straightened out. I always give mine broken up Tums when they start laying soft shelled eggs and that usually fixes it. Also sometimes chickens will not eat the oyster shell, but I have found if I throw it on the ground like scratch, they will eat it before going to bed. I also save all their egg shells and bake them in the oven and then crunch them up and throw them out to them. They seem to like the eggshell better than the oyster shell. I hope you are able to fix her condition soon because that’s not good. Try the Tums it always works for me, just break it up into six pieces and stick it in her beak.

One other thing I wanted to share with you. I can tell whenever my hen is starting to have problems. She spends a lot more time in the nesting box, obviously having a difficult time laying. I've also noticed that she seems almost panicky if she still hasn't had luck expelling the problematic egg by dark. Anytime she's like this at night, I bring her inside to sleep in a wire dog crate. She gets a calcium tab, some water, then up on her roost in the crate, and I'll cover the crate with towels to make sure it's dark so she doesn't have to worry about anything. By morning, I'll usually find a soft shelled egg and at times, a normal shelled egg as well. Since this last time, I am going to start keeping up with each day that she lays because I know that she is prone to these problems. It's a frustrating feeling whenever I can't remember when she laid last. She likes to really dig out the nest box and will end up with a cracked egg because it lands on the wood floor, and I'll trash her egg. I've got some mats to help this, but I still want to keep more notes on her.
What type calcium do vitamin do you give her? Having same problem.

Back
Top Bottom