Please help me solve the problem before it starts.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickyBangBang, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Hello,

Problem: The eggs will arrive on Tuesday and I have the hova-bator running to "prepare" it for hatching eggs. The blasted thing won't stay at an even temp of 99. It's fluctuating between 95 and 101 and every temp in between.

Cause: The bator is fine and works properly. The issue is our heating and cooling elements in the house. The house is small (it's just my husband and myself, we have no need for a materialistic mansion) therefore we have a wall heating unit that works wonderfully for us and a window a/c unit that moves the air around the house beautifully.

Effect: I'm going to kill my chicks if I can't find a way to keep this bator at 99 degrees. As my dad used to say... "gah-boon-hen-fetchit and frimframfrimmergimmer!"

Thank you in advance...I have a little over 24 hours to figure this out. =(

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    If you have a central location in the house, away from all windows and the wall heater, you may be able to get a somewhat stable outside temperature. Then, you could adjust the incubator accordingly. A small fluctuation is okay occasionally as long as it doesn't get outside the temperature range you listed.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Thank you for the information, I won't fret as much now. Everywhere I'm reading has pretty much said if you don't keep it at exactly 99 for the first 18 days you're just up a muddy creek. If that's not accurate - my eggers will be fine. lol Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by