Please Help me to Introduce!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Iheartchickies, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Iheartchickies

Iheartchickies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    Minnesota
    Today I picked up two new hens. They are about 12-16 weeks old. They look to be about the same size as one of our full grown hens. How do I introduce them to my flock!?!? I brought them home and simply let them out to free range with my rooster and other two hens. The rooster tried to "herd" them but the "senior hens" clearly rejected them. When the rooster and senior hens went to the coop for the night we managed to catch the two new hens (who were roosting in a pine tree in the back yard). They are currently locked in a small dog crate in the house. My question is what now?! I should've reached out for help prior to bringing them home but did not have time. They either came home with me or became someone's dinner :( any advice on the best way to safely introduce these two girls into my flock and get them to understand that the coop is where they sleep (not a pine tree) would be appreciated greatly! I'm not sure how long to "quarantine" them for or how to get the other chickens to accept them as friends :( These two ladies are very clean and nice looking Gold Stars. Our current flock consists of one Black Australorp Roo, one buff Orpington hen and one Golden Comet hen. (The golden comet was VERY displeased with the new chickens) Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    You need to quarantine any new members for a min of 2 weeks, it is better if you can do 4 weeks. There is no way to tell if they are caring something until you observe them for a while and sometimes not even then. I still suggest the quarantine, and when it is close to time for them to be introduced I suggest to split the yard with the cheap plastic netting and place them on the other side. This allows them to speak to each other and check each other out without being able to peck each other. I usually do this for a couple of days before adding them to the coop. When you get to adding them to the coop, do it at night and place them in there yourself. They are usually calmer at night.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by