Please help me understand.. banty eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fshinggrl, Nov 23, 2009.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I buy large eggs from the store (before our chickens laid). It is the size recommended for baking and is useful for the omlets and eggs for breakfast. I don't understand what I would use a banty egg for. Please.. will you explain?!!! I am just curious. I put an ad on Craigslist for eggs and this person emailed me asking if I had banty eggs.
    \\Thanks!

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    tiny fried egg sandwiches!

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i like my bantam eggs much more than the large ones from my standards. i think you get more yolk in the little ones. i eat them for breakfast every day. If i end up with extra eggs (not happening right now, due to the weather) i give away the big eggs and keep the little ones for myself.

4. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Maybe they were wanting Hatching eggs..??[​IMG] or tryin to cut back on their egg intake..LOL

5. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    The rule of thumb is 3 banty eggs = 2 large eggs.

On the other hand, I agree with alicefelldown, even though she was probably just kidding. A single banty egg makes a great little snack sandwich!! And they make priceless devilled eggs!! A dish of tiny devilled eggs is always a hit at a party.

6. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I usually use about 2 banty eggs for a medium sized egg or 3 for a large sized egg.

Suzy

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Thank you! I appreciate it!

These are not fertile so no hatching happening with these!

8. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:No way! Tiny eggs are awesome, only wish my tiny tiny hen would lay more.

9. BridgeTea

BridgeTea Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Tiny deviled eggs would be awesome! I need more banties next spring...The eggs are so cute and the yolks stand right up there.

Egg math at my house: 2 regular eggs=3 banty eggs, or 1 duck egg+1 banty egg.

10. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    they are great for younger kids. If they cant eat a large eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by