Please help me understand how this can happen

Linda Lou Lou

Hatching
Feb 27, 2017
Tennessee

I am broken hearted, ordered 19 day old chicks and received last Wednesday. 1 DOA, 1 passed over night and Two more the next day. Except for the DOA the others were exceptionally small and weak. All others were healthy strong and began to perch in a piece of bamboo and very active. I understand the above but the one which passed late yesterday broke my heart as one minute I saw him eating and drinking and 1 hr later I saw this. what or how can this happen.

Thanks

Linda

That looks like the area where a chicks umbilical cord was. It's possible that it was damaged and caused a prolapse. I'm sorry this happened, hopefully the rest of your peeps are doing okay.

I detect the possibility of pasty butt on that photo of the dead chick. It appears to be vent prolapse, and that often follows the intense straining from a vent being clogged with feces from pasty butt. If not cleaned off immediately, pasty butt keeps accumulating and clogging the vent so poop backs up into the intestine.

To avoid this, you need to inspect each chick's vent daily and clean if you see the presence of crusty buildup. If a chick progresses to constipation, you need to treat it with mineral oil internally or it will die.

Both under and overheated brooders can contribute to pasty butt so check the temperature at floor level just beneath your heat source, and make sure the rest of the brooder space is much cooler so chicks may shed excess body heat.

Thank you all the rest seem fine. Just so disappointing. This guy was the third of the 4 of my Mottled Cochin Bantams. I just hope the last one will be ok with all the rest.

Yes im checking them daily. But i do clean it off seems atleast two or three daily have crust. The temp near thr floor is 92 and these guys seem happy with this temp. Next week is is 87 then so on

Correction my husband put the thermometer on the sleeping get side. The other is by the water. Water side is 84 sleeper side is 92. Is this good?

Back
Top Bottom