Please help me with gender. I'm new to this!

Lynnschickens

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015

Boys or girls? Thanks!

Last edited:
we can't have boys where we live and I'm already becoming attached! I just want to know as soon as possible. Thanks for your reply!

Im in exactly the same boat, i have two three week old chicks bramble and cheeky. I love them and i have a very sneaky feeling one of them is going to be a cockrel!! (Hope not) would break my heart to have to get cheeky swapped!

Anyways enough about me! It would be good if you could post some pics of the chicks in question?

There is different methods and theories of sexing chicks but none are 100% accurate. There is vent sexing, (which is used by professionals) were there examine the vent (bottom) of the chick.

For us do it at homers, the best thing to do is just look out for fast developing combs and if there are brighter than others. Also they may have a (cockiness) about them, or even may be making skughtly different sounds to the others. E.g. screechy noises. Maybe bossing the others?

Ive heard of a cockrel that crowed at three weeks!! If you use these pointers you should have a rough idea within a couple weeks and the cocks will usually crow at about 8-12 weeks.

Hope this is helpful, ill try my best to help in any way i can! Unfortunately only time will tell and i know myself it will be hard to part with the chicks that turn out cockrels! Good luck xx

Lol it took me a while how to do it too!!

Above where you write there are lots of icons. There is one thats a square with mountains and a sun in it. Cluck on that and select your photo, then click submitt and wait for it to upload. Hope you figure it out xx

Back
Top Bottom