Please Help Me With My Poor Little Hen :( Pictures Included

ksmith

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Nor Cal
I posted on here a couple of days ago about this same topic, and she still is the same. My year old Barred Rock hen has been acting very sleepy, lethargic, and just not interested. This started a couple of days ago. She will lay down away from the rest of the flock and close her eyes. Sometimes even standing and eating she will close her eyes. She is also very gentle with everything. She doesn't peck like a normal chicken, she just kinds of looks. The first day I noticed it, I thought it was egg binding, so I gave her a warm bath, and she loved it! she was great after that and the morning of the next day, but come to the afternoon, she was back to the same yucky symptoms.
th.gif

Today when I picked her up to look at her, it looked like her throat was very enlarged and swollen, almost hanging down. Here are some pictures:
58536_p5241131.jpg

58536_p5241134.jpg

58536_p5241128.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what the issue may be?? I need help. I really want to try to save her if I can. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am new to this forum, but I am just struck at how many people are posting about chickens with these same symptoms and no one responds to say they know anything about it. Makes me wonder if this is some new disease or what?

I have one who has been sick like this for about 2 weeks. Mine is also holding her head back on her shoulders, stays puffed up, eats a llittle bit, is losing weight. I think she will eventually die from this. I do not see how she can survive, and I do not know what to do for her.

I am sorry your hen has this, whatever it is! It is pretty hard to watch them go through this. :-(

Could she have an impacted crop? I'm new to this but you can search that topic to see if the symptoms are the same. They will tell you what to do for treatment.

Jut now I checked for more eggs and found an egg layed but with no shell. I found one like this a couple of days also. Could this be causing the issues?? I am thinking of adding calcium to their water, but is it ok for the whole flock to have extra calcium??

Corid is a amino acid or protein (I don't remember which, but it blocks a Vit B intake that kills the cocci) blocker to cure cocci. You get it at Tractor Supply or farm store. It is expensive. About $23 for a bag, but you will never have to buy it again. Use 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat the whole flock. There is no egg withdrawal necessary.

Her throat does look swollen. I agree with another poster, open her mouth in a good light and look inside. She may have something caught in her throat or there may be another issue like canker. If you use a torch and somebody to help you should be able to get a good look.

If it's crop stasis or blockage etc then that's a separate issue to the throat swelling... If you can't see anything in the throat then perhaps you could check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it's empty (it should always empty overnight).

regards
Erica

Back
Top Bottom