please, help me with pressure cooker recipes of 12 week old HERITAGE chickens?or non- PC recipes for

Natalijaasbj

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
I want to try a 12 week old heritage chicken. I know how to cook and older birds. But wanted to try other method than slow cooking or coq a vin with younger birds. Please your ideas?
thank u in advance

How did you do it?? I think the OP would like to know the details.
I just put a whole chicken in a 6.5 quart pressure cooker, added about 1 1/2 quarts of water, salt and pepper, then brought up to pressure and cooked for about 45 minutes at 15 pounds. If it is an older rooster, you might want to cook 15-30 minutes longer. You could put carrots, onions, celery in it to make a richer stock. The chicken was tender. It was a rooster about 24-26 weeks.

Natalijaasbj, you're right, chicken and dumplings is a kind of soup - the dumplings generally float on the surface of the soup. Its kind of like matzo ball soup, are you familiar with that? Or maybe seeing a recipe would give you a better idea:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/12/chicken-and-dumplings/

A 12 week old bird isn't old, you're right, but you can do it in the pressure cooker. It will just have less fat and less connective tissue than an older bird, so you have to be a little more careful about cooking it. First off, I would brine it (soak it in salt water) for at least 24 hours before cooking. Brining the chicken helps it retain moisture during the cooking process, and it seasons the meat. Then how long you cook it depends on the weight of the bird. For a 5 lb. bird (2.25 KG) I'd cook it 25 - 30 minutes on high pressure (15 PSI). A 4 lb. bird (1.75 KG) I'd do 20 - 25 minutes. And I'd use an instant read thermometer (in the bird's thigh, not touching the bone) to make sure the chicken has reached the proper temperature.

That's if you keep the chicken whole. If you cut it up into pieces, thigh meat takes 6 minutes under high pressure, breast meat should cook for 4 minutes under pressure. (Now that's just basic cooking, that doesn't braise the chicken, but such a young chicken probably isn't going to make the best braise, anyway.)

I forgot to say, those times above are using natural pressure release. Don't force pressure release - it could actually toughen the meat. The chicken will continue to cook while it depressurizes, I believe Lorna Sass (the Julia Child of pressure cooking) says to consider every 4 minutes of depressurizing time equal to 1 minute of cooking under pressure.

Take the old (one year plus) rooster. Cut up into pieces and make sure the evisceration is correct (no lung tissue remaining).

Put pieces into a large pot or pressure cooker. Keep the giblets reserved in another pot.

Rest the pieces overnight in a liter of milk straight from a cow. If you don't have a cow, use buttermilk. Add a little meat tenderizer.

Next morning, wash pot plus chicken pieces with water. Bake the chicken pieces briefly until lightly done. Legs and breast take longer than wings.

Take the half-baked chicken pieces and put them back in the large pot.

Add a new liter of milk. Add water. Slow-cook for 3 or 4 hours. Add chopped potatoes, onions, carrots, spices etc. halfway through.

No pressure needed unless you want to speed the process.

Anything younger than a year-old Roo takes less time.

I have never cooked a bird in the pressure cooker. Always roasted and then boiled. I so know of others that do pressure cook, so I"m sure you will find your answers soon.

I have never cooked a bird in the pressure cooker. Always roasted and then boiled. I so know of others that do pressure cook, so I"m sure you will find your answers soon.
I cooked one in a pressure cooker recently, but it was just for chicken and dumplings.....

Quote: I would definitely do this the next time with an older bird. THe last one I roasted up was a 9 m cornish cross and it was tough.
lau.gif

What is this mysterious "chicken and dumplings" means anyway.?:):)
It might be a silly question, forgive me I am from Russia, I know chicken and noodle soup, and many other soups. In fact Russians do lots of soups, but not sure about dumplings. Do they look like ravioli?

Back
Top Bottom