please help me

countrygirl2513

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2016
my duckling just hatched today it was kinda early it still has the yolk sack to absorb. besides that its moving its legs kinda like shaking but violently doing it. it also wont open its eyes alot. its chipping and when i talk to it it talks back. it acts like its still in the shell it wont pick its head up or roll on to its stomach to try to walk. im scared im going to lose it i dont know what to do

Does it have heat? Freshly hatched ducklings should have a heat lamp adjusted to about 35° celsius. It will have to dry, and strengthen. If it doesn't improve after 6 or more hours, you may need to help it along.

Yes it has heat

Since this picture was taken the membrane has come off and the yolk has gotten smaller it was shrink wrapped so i had to help it im just worry something is wrong with it it seems healthy for the most part

Yes it has heat

Since this picture was taken the membrane has come off and the yolk has gotten smaller it was shrink wrapped so i had to help it im just worry something is wrong with it it seems healthy for the most part
How is he doing now? I would dab it with some Betadine and keep him on clean towels in the incubator or in a brooder.

How is he doing now?  I would dab it with some Betadine and keep him on clean towels in the incubator or in a brooder. 

Its doing pretty well still cant hold his head and still not opening eyes thats much but man is he loud and trying to move around i put him in a cup for a little bit to make sure his yolk was moist enough. He did not like that one bit so i took him out. He seems healthy for the most part. I dont have an incubator so i did a 75 watt reptile bulb hes fluffing up nicly and the temp is staying nice. Heres an updated pic hes the only one that hatched so i put a stuffed animal in there with him

Its doing pretty well still cant hold his head and still not opening eyes thats much but man is he loud and trying to move around i put him in a cup for a little bit to make sure his yolk was moist enough. He did not like that one bit so i took him out. He seems healthy for the most part. I dont have an incubator so i did a 75 watt reptile bulb hes fluffing up nicly and the temp is staying nice. Heres an updated pic hes the only one that hatched so i put a stuffed animal in there with him
I've had some take the longest time to lift their head that I would get so worried. It's amazing the difference they can be from one another after hatching. How is he doing to today? The belly looks better already in this picture.

Back
Top Bottom