PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

By the way....
here are the new babies
woot.gif

In all this sickness, refreshing to see some new life

How are you going to keep the new babies from getting sick? do you have a home they can go to? I would remove them from the premises ASAP. Not trying to sound rude just concerned for the little ones and you. I know you don't want to see them get sick too.

Regarding the Oxytetracycline dose... when you look at the mg/kg, cattle get much less than birds do. The quick search that I did shows that cattle get no more than 20mg/kg and birds get 50-200mg/kg.

From Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook - 7th Edition

AHHHH This is so complicated, I just want to do what's right!!!!

Thank you for the information, you all have been VERY helpful!
Checking the second link now

Sorry--I just realized I'd only read one page before posting--& there were 2 more pages of info, so I duplicated some others' comments.
roll.png

More info: If you force-feed, if you feed actually down the throat (rather than just into the beak), you will need to use a 1 cc size syringe. Larger ones don't fit down the throat well.
I would get a tube, it will take way too long to do it one cc at a time and will put way too much stress on the bird. FWIW, once you get good at it, you can tube 120ml in less than one minute, three minutes if you include prep and set-up. I am available by phone for those that need help, BTW.

You should be able to get needles and syringes from many people pharmacies (other than sometimes Wal-Mart, which has some kind of policy) without a problem. The needles are higher quality than a feed store's & you can get thinner needles (25-gauge is a nice thin one) and smaller syringes that are well-suited for dosing chickens. Price is about the same.

I'm wondering if your vet gave you correct dosing for the Duramycin??? LA-200 is a brand of Oxytetracycline injectible & the dose for it is 1 to 2 cc's every three days (It is a long-acting formulation), from what I know. Giving just 0.1 of Duramycin seems like too little unless it is a much more concentrated form. I would verify the dose ASAP because it seems like they are only getting 1/10 to 1/20 of what they should!
I think you're correct, from what I just read, the dose for birds is a minimum of 50mg/kg and a maximum of 200mg/kg

The info at http://durvet.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=33:duramycin-72-200 says Duramycin 72-200 is the generic of LA-200 and they both have 200 mg Oxytetracycline per mL.
Are you using Duramycin 72-200 or Duramycin 100 injectible? Duramycin 100 is more diluted (only 100 mg Oxytetracycline per mL).

By the way, Oxytetracycline seemed very effective for my birds when they were suffering from Coryza. I hope it works well with your birds.

On the Chicken Medicine Chart, I've posted other info on Oxytetracycline that can be important for effectiveness & safety, so I'd recommend reading that, too.

Sorry I'm confused by the quotes-- to the person who treated their birds with Oxytetracycline, did you do the injections?
Was it the stronger one (200 mg/ml)?
Do you remember how much you injected into your birds?

I'm afraid to go over because it keeps warning about potential permenant muscle damage to the area injected....

I have not treated with it, but if I did, I would weigh my bird and dose it accordingly. The drug you have is labeled for cattle and cattle get much less than poultry do. I believe the correct dose for your birds would be between 50-200mg/kg (0.25cc to 1cc per kilogram). Please, call the vet and ask him, he should have a book similar to mine and can give you a quick answer. Make sure he tells you milligrams per kilograms.

-Kathy

Dutchbunny, I'm sorry that I'm not able to help with dosage, but you've got good counsel here, and from your vet. You can also ring the company that makes it by phone, even though it may not be labeled for poultry, and ask what they reccomend for your hens. I've done that with other medications, and have been given a verbal disclaimer... but them got some helpful guidance over the phone.
wink.png

I'm so pleased that you are taking such good care of your birds. They really are so fortunate to be yours, and to be loved for who they are. I'm continuing to send healing vibes your flock's way!

As for those darling new babies, I haven't any idea what might be best. But, I'm sending you and the situation my best thoughts and well-wishes today.

Back
Top Bottom