Please Help Muffin!! UPDATE: HE IS BETTER!

Quote:
Locked, you are doing a great. Those pics illustrate his position and distress really well. I wish I had experience with sick chickens so I could help in this situation...

Quote:
Locked, you are doing a great. Those pics illustrate his position and distress really well. I wish I had experience with sick chickens so I could help in this situation...

I usually handle these situations easily, I can put one down if I know there is no hope, but with Muffin, well we have become very attached to him, since he was a chick he has had a HUGE personality for his little size and he is generally a sweet boy.

As suggested by "AHappyChick" I made a meal of egg yolk, buttermilk, yogurt, St Johns Wort and Vitamin E. I mixed a little crumble in it. I made Muffin a sling and placed him in it. He is in a standing position. I used the bottom to a small waterer and put some food in there, placed his waterer up on a block of wood and his feeder too, they are both high enough he can get to them. He did not seem to want to eat at first so I force fed him a couple bites and then pushed his beak into the food. He started eating. I put about 1/8 of a cup in the feeder when I first went out, an hour later he had eaten all but just a tiny little bit.
Poor Muffin, if it isn't cruel enough to be a boy with a Cutsie Girly Name, I did not even think when I grabbed an old shirt to cut up to make his sling, it is PINK! He seems brighter tonight so I am optimistic that he will come out of this, whatever it is.

That looks like Mareks.
sad.png

Quote:
How can only one bird contract Mareks? I have never had Mareks on my Place and Mort, his GF is totally fine as are the couple of Bantam Hens I had in the cage with them.

Quote:
I have not hatched or purchased any birds in months, actually since early last year and no one that has birds has been on my place in months and months. Muffin was hatched from eggs I got from a BYC member that I trust. I have been to a couple peoples farms, but I trust these people and I always wash my hands and wear different shoes to my barn than I wear when I go off. Since I have never had Mareks, and Muffin only started having issues when it got bitterly cold, where the heck would Mareks come from?

Last edited:
Do you have neighbors with chickens? Like I mentioned...it is airborne..spread thru feather dander...it can travel from another farm even if neither went on each others property. The virus enters thru the bird's respiratory tract.

Quote:
The closest chickens to me are in a Chicken house about 3 miles away. No other chickens near me.

Back
Top Bottom