PLEASE HELP! Muscovy duckling with a lump in its neck!

Quackers08

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
Cornwall, England
Here you can see the lump from different angles. I dont know if this is common in muscovys and is just the neck/chest going a bit puffy?? Can someone please help? Im worried he might be allergic to something or has another problem or needs the vet? :/

My duck had the lump too! It might’ve just been water. I noticed it after she took her first swim. I felt it and it was sort of squishy. It went away the next day though! Leave it alone and monitor the lump and her behavior for the next few days. If anything changes or worsens take her to the vet.

It looks like mom or dad bit him.
Well, when my ducklings were playing and got in a drakes way today he gave them all a swift nip to the neck. It turned blue and red and swelled immediately. In that same spot.
I saw it happen.

Ok. When you hold her, feel her neck. Without applying pressure does it feel like the bones are in a straight or a curved line moving from head to tail? You can just loop your fingers around the neck and just move them with how the neck is held. If it is crookneck, you can try treating with vitamins. It isn't contagious. If it were a sting, then keep an eye on eating, drinking and pooping and it should go down within a day or two (I think)
I wouldn't think it would be something contagious as only the one is showing signs. You could seperate it if only to be able to make sure it is eating and drinking. Whether you decide on taking it to the vet will depend on many things. It will be your and your family's choice.

Good luck.

Can you give us some background on where he has been, if treats have been offered, does he get grit, what he is fed usually, any differences today in environment or behavior?

Is he drinking, pooping?

He has been in the same run with the rest of the ducklings and mum and had the same food, water, bedding etc as he always does. This is why I don't understand how he suddenly has this lump :/ he is the same as usual and is on growers mixed with crumbs for feed

I feel like I have seen this before . . . . drat!

Okay, is it warm? Can you very gently touch it, does it feel smooth, squishy or lumpy?

If you have a vet, I would take the duckling in.

In the meantime, can you give the little one a nice lukewarm bath deep enough to float in for a while, and watch carefully?

I am wondering if there could be some impaction, causing food to back up in the tummy or lower throat area.

Also, might there be internal parasites, like worms?

Aside from that, could the duckling have gotten into something, like a ball of twine?

Had the food bowl become empty and when it was refilled the duckling gorged itself?

Amiga, that was Plum Tuckered her Muscovy had a lump on it's neck I just looked it up she never posted what happened one way or the other. Looks very simuliar to this ducklings pic, maybe food packed inside the crop?

Thanks, Miss Lydia, I recall someone had that. Actually, someone else had all her ducklings with this and my feeling was that the person(s) in charge while she was away had not kept food in front of the ducklings all the time and they had engorged themselves while feeding.

I suppose it could also have been some kind of bee or wasp sting. In which case an Epsom salts compress applied to the side of the neck might help.

Back
Top Bottom