PLEASE HELP! My 2 chicks wont eat or drink!!

Well, I just killed one of my black chicks.........I got a tube feeder at the vet yesterday......they did fine. Then this morning I was feeding my little guy and I guess I gave him too much 1/2cc and he tried to take a breath and sucked some in his lungs.... the leftover stuff in his mouth.......now I am freaked to even feed the other one.

They were turning the corner and doing so well, then I killed him. I tried sooo hard to get him to come back to life but after 45 minutes I stopped.
I feel like crap.....I have never killed anything.

He was my little feisty thing!
I'm sorry baby chickie.......RIP

I have to focus on the living now....My eyes are swollen and I have a bad headache now.
Please learn from what I did and be careful when tube feeding baby chicks.

I'm sorry you lost one.
sad.png
Tube feeding is difficult even under the best circumstances with an experienced person... I'm not sure your vet should have recommended that.
sad.png

Thank You! My other little chickie dosn't eat or drink on his own either. But.......He loves pecking the end of the feeding tube and I squirt out Exact baby bird food(every so tiny amount) when he pecks it. And he gobbles it up!!
He is so small or micro...... I compared him to his other siblings and OMG he is still the size of his banty egg he came out of...... Persistence!
Thank You for your well wishes georgialee!!!!

I would keep letting the chick peck the feed and eat on his/her own... much safer. I used to hand-feed parrots and I remember how easy it is for them to aspirate their food - I can't imagine something so small as a chick! good luck!

Back
Top Bottom