(Please help) My chicken is gasping and has foam coming out her mouth

Pics
I tried it tonight and they didn't like it, at all. I had a fan on that was about 5 ft away from Darla and I stood in the middle between her and the fan and Misted from there. They HATED it, but Darla managed to stay right in the Misted area for about 5 minutes before she was off to hide from me. I know that she did get some of it, so I'm hopeful!
That's really good she inhaled it for a long enough amount of time. Did you try again and has she improved? I'm going to make the mix today and mist her and some of the rest when they're in their coop, so they don't try to run.

She's been having these symptoms for many months. I tried antibiotics for respiratory disease but it didn't get rid of the symptoms. Her upper neck below her beak feels swollen. Is it gapeworms or anything else? The video of her gasping is in the link below. Thank you.

https://streamable.com/9i7o92
That’s awful.
Two of my chickens ate screws and nails and died. I did an autopsy to see what happened. I bought this property three years ago and found out that the previous owner did car repair for many years and did not treat the land with respect. I am still finding screws, nails, broken windshield glass, bolts, washers, broken plastic and metal from car parts, etc. My other chickens don't eat this trash. I'm wondering if your chicken ate something that is lodged somewhere.
what a slob. To do that

This is interesting. Thank you for tagging me. Last night, we got into the low 70's and I didn't hear her breathing. I believe it's aggravated by different things (temps, humidity, etc) and likely flares up at times, similar to any chronic condition. I did find an avian vet, but they're about 2 hours away. If Darla (my Buff Orpington) gets worse, I'll be taking her in and I will definitely share any findings with you. I do plan on ordering the Oxine that's been mentioned several times. Didn't you say that spraying this around your sweet girl has helped? I need to look around and find this product. Is there anything particular that I need to look for (any specific strength, or anything specific?)? Does your hen have a noticeable wet mouth when she's doing this? Darla isn't drooling by any means, but I've noticed her mouth does seem more moist than normal. It's not alarming or anything, just something I took note of. Darla will run (actually a very fast waddle) around, gets very vocal around laying time, and does everything else all of my other chickens do, but when she breaths like that, my stomach sinks. She seems healthy otherwise, knock on wood. So that's why I haven't brought this up. I really appreciate you bringing it up. Hopefully both of our girls can breathe easier and go back to being perfect (in our eyes at least <3)
Super best luck to you both. You are wonderful owners.

Hi @Jennifur! I received my order yesterday. That's funny how we both received our orders so close together. I haven't used it yet. I have my bottle for misting, so I plan on doing it tonight. Darla's (my BO with the vocal breathing) breathing hasn't been loud at all, but I can't say it's completely normal either. It's not been quite as hot and I do feel like extreme temps ~either way~ are a contributing factor. Do you notice this with your beautiful hen? I need to go back and read over everything posted. I tend to get mixed up easily unless I read something multiple times. That's actually why I didn't use it for her last night. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it went once you mist this over her. I will definitely share how things go here. I am so excited with the possibility of helping her, but also worried and afraid (I am the absolute worst worry wart! I annoy myself with the amount I worry oftentimes)

I am hoping both of our beauties will benefit. Thank you again for this post and for allowing me to be a part of it. I tend to overreact more than I'd like to admit. That lead to me telling myself that I post too many threads and since Darla seemed perfectly fine otherwise, I should stop worrying. I really appreciate this post, you, the suggestions posted and the suggesters (made up word, hahaha)
You are very compassionate which makes for a wonderful owner. Don’t worry about how you react. You’re fine. We fellow owners understand!!

Back
Top Bottom