(Please help) My chicken is gasping and has foam coming out her mouth

Screenshot_20200826-195821_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-195839_Chrome.jpg

@Jennifur this link provides lots of helpful info. If your mix doesn't fit in your bottle, unactivated Oxine AH lasts a while mixed in water.

I just found a site that says to mix two and a half teaspoons on unactivated Oxine AH to one cup of water for respiratory conditions/misting over bird
Is the stuff we bought unactivated oxine AH?
View attachment 2307542

View attachment 2307539

@Jennifur this link provides lots of helpful info. If your mix doesn't fit in your bottle, unactivated Oxine AH lasts a while mixed in water.
Thank you very much. I was very worried about doing this correctly because English is my second language. This is a lot more clear. But do you know if we should use an 8th of the 2 1/2 teaspoon/cup water mix for each application on a bird, and for how many days?

Last edited:
I am hoping both of our beauties will benefit. Thank you again for this post and for allowing me to be a part of it. I tend to overreact more than I'd like to admit. That lead to me telling myself that I post too many threads and since Darla seemed perfectly fine otherwise, I should stop worrying. I really appreciate this post, you, the suggestions posted and the suggesters (made up word, hahaha)
Same here. I'm happy we can possibly be done with this problem that's been stressing us for a long time.

It's not been quite as hot and I do feel like extreme temps ~either way~ are a contributing factor. Do you notice this with your beautiful hen?
I'm not sure I noticed a big difference between her breathing in the summer compared with the winter, it seemed to be always the same. Thanks for calling my hen beautiful. :love

Is the stuff we bought unactivated oxine AH?

Thank you very much. I was very worried about doing this correctly because English is my second language. This is a lot more clear. But do you know if we should use an 8th of the 2 1/2 teaspoon/cup water mix for each application on a bird, and for how many days?

Yes, we have the unactivated. To activate it, another product has to be added to it. We do not need to activate it for this use. All we need to add to the Oxine AH is water to treat our birds breathing issues.

The way I believe it to be is to mix the amount as it's stated. 2 & 1/2 teaspoons mixed into 1 cup of water. This amount is enough to treat them 8 times. So I will mix into a glass jar. Then I plan to pour 1/8 of the mixture into my spray bottle and mist this over her. I'm going to mist tonight and then will do this every night for the next 7 days, since I don't believe it's severe. If you feel like your hen has a severe case, just use 1/8 of the mixture, up to 3 times a day.

Yes, we have the unactivated. To activate it, another product has to be added to it. We do not need to activate it for this use. All we need to add to the Oxine AH is water to treat our birds breathing issues.

The way I believe it to be is to mix the amount as it's stated. 2 & 1/2 teaspoons mixed into 1 cup of water. This amount is enough to treat them 8 times. So I will mix into a glass jar. Then I plan to pour 1/8 of the mixture into my spray bottle and mist this over her. I'm going to mist tonight and then will do this every night for the next 7 days, since I don't believe it's severe. If you feel like your hen has a severe case, just use 1/8 of the mixture, up to 3 times a day.
Thank you very much for verifying that with me. I think I'm going to start with an 1/8th of the mixture everyday, because I don't think she has it very severe since she's had it for a long time. I will update you on how she does on the treatment, and please keep me updated on your beautiful hen as well.

I tried it tonight and they didn't like it, at all. I had a fan on that was about 5 ft away from Darla and I stood in the middle between her and the fan and Misted from there. They HATED it, but Darla managed to stay right in the Misted area for about 5 minutes before she was off to hide from me. I know that she did get some of it, so I'm hopeful!

Back
Top Bottom