please help my chicks are throwing up

Seems to me this is a crop issue going on. Chickens have no stomach, in a mamal's sense of a stomach, food "storage" is going to be in the crop...thus they don't vomit in our sense of it. Either the crop is impacted (packed with feed, grass, shavings, etc.,) or they have some type of infection going on.

Check the crops good. If shavings are blocking passage on to the gizzard you have a problem. What type of bedding are you using for them? Leave CHICK feed and water out all the time for baby chicks....

Be sure to answer Wyorp Rock's questions...they're good ones that need answers to.

Best wishes,
Ed

Ranging from 1 year to 7 months.
I give them egg layer crumbles.
3 out of the 5 females and no males
Most of it is brown thick in some parts and runny in the others.
They behave normal, active, playful and this is kind of gross but when one chicken spits up they all run up and try and eat it??
They get fresh food and water everyday.

Since you have 3 out of 5 exhibiting symptoms, it very well could be heat related.
You may also want to check any areas they have access to and make sure there is no moldy/rotten food, leaves, materials that they can ingest.

Provide cold fresh water several times a day, give their normal crumbles and a few cold/frozen treats like watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber (fresh fruits/veggies) and make sure there is a source of grit available as well.

Make sure they have access to shade and places where they can get out to the sun so they can cool themselves. Search here on BYC for tips about keeping chicken cool in the hot weather.

Check everyone's crop when they go to bed (should be full or mostly full) and then first thing in the am before they eat/drink (should be empty or nearly empty). Anyone who still has a full crop in the am, you may want to observe - sour,slow or impacted crop could be the problem.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

I give mine wet feed mornings and evenings and chopped vegetables/fruits about 4 pm. I mix some whole oats with their feed as well.

sorry I just have always referred to them as chicks - thank you so much!! - and this morning after i gave them iced water and frozen treats - their crops were empty and no more throwing up!

Back
Top Bottom