Please Help my D'anver qual chicken is soooooooo sick

Thank you so much for your reply. We did get a couple bantams in mid September that I had in a coop in our garage with her and one bird we have had since april that was recovering from wry neck and a pullet we bought inAugust, they are all healthy now and down in our main coop. I had her with them because she hates being in the main coop, she is always picked on and prefers to be in small areasor with us, she acts more like a parrot, she likes to perch and pretty much stays there, so I was concidering making her an inhouse bird, was waiting for a large parrot cage... so I put her in with them for the time being and they were a little family. All my other birds are healthy. Earlier in my thread I thought she was egg bound, she acted like it, to the best of my knowledge she has never laid, she is over a year old, So I though egg bound or internal laying, but no swelling, no broken yolk eggs in her poo. This morning as I was feeding her with her yogurt, vitamin water, chick layer, egg mush...I notice a very sweet smell at her vent. poo is still fine white and grey color, and she also does like a stevie wonder kinda thing with her head after she shakes off me force feeding her. I gave her about 5ml of her mush and some drops of water, she has tiny bit of strength left, open her eyes for just s second then its back to sleep. I have her laying on her side with a pillow---crazy...so do you thing cocci??? What can I do, or should I just cull her. Sorry my typing is a mess, my computer is really slow for some reason...And thank you for caring
Weakness is from not getting enough food into her system,you could try tube feeding,but in her condition i am afraid it might push her over,then again if you feel she is not going to make it,then it might be worth it to try. I would think if she was egg bound,she would probably be dead by now as it has been well over a week,egg peritonitis is a possibility,but again i would think she would have passed by now. I feel that cocci may have been the initial problem as you had her with new birds,new birds bring new strains, I would treat her for cocci,at this point you have nothing to loose,dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water,treat her for 5-7 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with the ability of the medication to work)give vitamins after treatment is complete. She is very weak and may not make it,but i agree you have to try and this is basically the last thing. You can add the corid to food as well as water. The sweet smell from her vent area has me concerned that there may be an internal issues,i am mentioning this b/c a family member is diabetic and i can always tell if their blood sugar level is high by the sweet smell they give off,then again it could be from the medications she has been on.

No offense intended to anyone, but the Corid powder dose that is *equal* to 2 teaspoons of liquid (946 mg) is *absolutely* no less that 1.5 teaspoons (810mg), but not more than 1.75 teaspoon (945mg). One teaspoon of the powder has only 540mg of amprolium it.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

• The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons per US gallon (128 fluid ounces).
  • The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon per US gallon (128 fluid ounces).

• The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon per US gallon (128 fluid ounces).
  • The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon per US gallon (128 fluid ounces).

• The .006% dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon per US gallon (128 fluid ounces).
  • The .006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon per US gallon (128 fluid ounces).

More Corid and Amproll info here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

If I have made an error or have posted misinformation please let me know ASAP and I will correct it.

-Kathy

Thank you so much for your reply. We did get a couple bantams in mid September that I had in a coop in our garage with her and one bird we have had since april that was recovering from wry neck and a pullet we bought inAugust, they are all healthy now and down in our main coop. I had her with them because she hates being in the main coop, she is always picked on and prefers to be in small areasor with us, she acts more like a parrot, she likes to perch and pretty much stays there, so I was concidering making her an inhouse bird, was waiting for a large parrot cage... so I put her in with them for the time being and they were a little family. All my other birds are healthy. Earlier in my thread I thought she was egg bound, she acted like it, to the best of my knowledge she has never laid, she is over a year old, So I though egg bound or internal laying, but no swelling, no broken yolk eggs in her poo. This morning as I was feeding her with her yogurt, vitamin water, chick layer, egg mush...I notice a very sweet smell at her vent. poo is still fine white and grey color, and she also does like a stevie wonder kinda thing with her head after she shakes off me force feeding her. I gave her about 5ml of her mush and some drops of water, she has tiny bit of strength left, open her eyes for just s second then its back to sleep. I have her laying on her side with a pillow---crazy...so do you thing cocci??? What can I do, or should I just cull her. Sorry my typing is a mess, my computer is really slow for some reason...And thank you for caring
Laying on her side is a very bad sign and could mean that the dying process has started. I'm not saying that she is dying, just that it's a possibility. Sick birds need 30ml of fluids per 2.2 pounds of body weight every 6-8 hours to stay hydrated, but it's impossible to syringe feed them that amount safely. Have you ever tube fed?

-Kathy

Hello, thanks for replying, just got back from the feed store and bought medicine for cocci.... gave her some, about 1.5 tsp full and her mush food...praying it helps...and im not too late!

ALSO, wondering, if I give her doses of it like every hour, I wonder how long it would take to take effect.....assuming that is what she has wrong with her...I know its usually 24 hours for humans, wonder if it is the same for chickens?

Well thank you to everyone who tried to help, but my Kona died this afternoon, we are very sad. We lost one of the most friendly chickens I have ever met. I wanted to say that I was cleaning her vent area earlier today and found a 2-3 inch white worm dead stuck to her feathers, so I still dont know if it was worms or cocci, maybe both, pretty upset with myself for not medicating her with wormer or the cocci meds last week, I just didnt know, since she acted so much like an egg problem. Thanks all for all the help. Blessings...

I'm so sorry that you lost her. I have a special d'uccle who is my pet. It is very hard to tell what is wrong with your chicken. You have to go through every system and eliminate the possibilities.

Thank you all for all of your support, I guess I know now what to look for...wondering if I should treat all of them for cocci or worms...half of them are laying and half are getting of age,,, not sure if I should and if I should would i treat them with the cocci meds or the worm meds...both??? Any suggestions?

Rest in Peace my little Kona

Last edited:
Thank you all for all of your support, I guess I know now what to look for...wondering if I should treat all of them for cocci or worms...half of them are laying and half are getting of age,,, not sure if I should and if I should would i treat them with the cocci meds or the worm meds...both??? Any suggestions?

Rest in Peace my little Kona
Sorry for your loss. Worming all of them would be a smart thing to do,

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom