Please Help my D'anver qual chicken is soooooooo sick

ashelt

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 11, 2012
lately lathargic, now, labored breathing,, her vent is pulsing, white runny poo all over it. She is very week and will fall over, she has a mushy crop, eats a little. Nothing caught in throat. Opens her mouth to breath. She is our very favorite, so sweet and loving like a little baby. She is under 2 years old. She did have food caught in her throat last week, my kids gave her bread and I think it got caught in there so I flushed it out with water and she was fine, just hungry, she seemed fine after that. she had never had bread. She has been keeping her eyes closed most of the time...Any advice please, I would hate to lose her she is just sooo special, will lay in your arms like a baby to get love, she is really like a house pet- that sweet!!!!! I just gave her a couple drops of liquid polyvisol and some water, she perks up to cooked eggs but wont eat any and she loves them... All my other hens are fine....

I would examine her vent with a rubber glove and feel for a stuck egg. If she is eggbound, place her in a very warm bath for 30 minutes to pass the egg. Give her 1/4 of a crushed Tums or calcium tablet in some yogurt. She may just have sour crop. She may need some electrolytes if she is so weak. Here is a link to click on for treatment: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Homemade electrolytes or pedialyte and gatorade are acceptable in emergencies.

Last edited:
You are definately correct. She is egg bound, I realize now, she has been for a couple of days. She is very weak. I gave her 2 very warm baths with epsom salts, massaged her stomach area and she will bare down as if trying to get it out, I dont feel any egg, but it will be a small egg, cause she is a quail chicken. I am giving her electrolits, however you spell it. Giving her heat lamp. I even felt inside her, but dont feel the egg. I also gave her some olive oil by mouth to try to lubricate. She doesnt eat now or drink, so I am just giving her the liquids. I dont have any yogurt, but will go out today and get some. Wheat else can I do for her? I hate to lose her, she is my favorite, really the sweetest chicken I have ever had. How much olive oil should I feed her, if anymore? Should I put her on tylan, not sure how that will help. What else can I feed her that is liquid so she can keep up her strength????? Thanks so much for your help! I am praying and will keep up the baths and massaging

Well Kona is still with us, I was sure I felt an egg the other day, she got so much worse, so I took her to a friend who has a farm and she said not egg bound or internal laying, she felt nothing, and of course I didnt feel anything when I tried to show her... She said she was just sick, so I have been giving her tylan mixed of course with the water and vitamins and electrolites and polyvisol and hand feeding and watering her for couple of days now every couple of hours...and well she is much much much better, she doesnt seem to have alot of strength in her legs, but her personality and stubborness is back and she is now eating her baby layer mush I made her all on her own. I just have to wonder why she acted so much like she was egg bound....she is over a year old and to the best of my knowledge she has never laid an egg????? Confused... I am going to keep her as an inside chicken from now on, she is always the lowest in the pecking order, and really isnt happy with the rest of the girls. She loves being inside, she will actually just stay wherever you put her and is happy and content that way, strange little thing! She is a bantam D'Anver bearded quail chicken and weigh only 13 ounces and I guess ddoesnt think she is a chicken, more a parrot!!!
Any advise on what enyone thinks was going on with her incase it happens again...Truely everytime I put her back with the other hens sooner or later something else happens to her.........Too bad you cant litter box train them! This is not her picture, but it is EXACTLY what she looks like! She knows her name and is my sweety pie!
th

I'm glad she is doing better. Even though your friend says she isn't an internal layer, she might be. I would read more articles about it and educate yourself. It would be unusual for her to never lay an egg unless she is laying internally. Egg yolk peritonitis is quite painful. Maybe it isn't that, but I would read up on it. Just Google "egg yolk peritonitis" in chickens.

Well I am back and my girl is doing horrible again. I dont know what else to do. Giving her a wormer in her water, still giving her vits and electrolytes, chick feed with egg and vit water blended up and manually feeding and watering her. She is still poopling sometimes good and sometimes watery, she is completely listless, sleeps ALL the time, lays on her side, b/c she has no energy, comb is so light pink its rewally white, soooo skinny, no mites, no swellen belly, she is actually skeletal, she has been on tylan. I cant figure what is wrong with her and how to help her. She is still inside and I have still a heat lamp on her because she has no body heat. Feet are always cold. She looks dead until I pick her up she will chirp once and try to stand but falls over, so I just cuddle her while I feed and water her, she may try to take a bite but really I have to feed her.....If anyone has any idea please let me know. I have read and read on the internet, and she really doesnt fit any disease, I am wondering if maybe its cancer or something internal disease... She is only a little over a year and just precious to me. :(

Well I am back and my girl is doing horrible again. I dont know what else to do. Giving her a wormer in her water, still giving her vits and electrolytes, chick feed with egg and vit water blended up and manually feeding and watering her. She is still poopling sometimes good and sometimes watery, she is completely listless, sleeps ALL the time, lays on her side, b/c she has no energy, comb is so light pink its rewally white, soooo skinny, no mites, no swellen belly, she is actually skeletal, she has been on tylan. I cant figure what is wrong with her and how to help her. She is still inside and I have still a heat lamp on her because she has no body heat. Feet are always cold. She looks dead until I pick her up she will chirp once and try to stand but falls over, so I just cuddle her while I feed and water her, she may try to take a bite but really I have to feed her.....If anyone has any idea please let me know. I have read and read on the internet, and she really doesnt fit any disease, I am wondering if maybe its cancer or something internal disease... She is only a little over a year and just precious to me. :(
How many birds do you have,and have you added any new birds? As you have treated her for several issues and nothing is helping,have you considered Coccidiosis? Some symptoms of Cocci are:Runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 11 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss.

You should consider tube feeding her,she needs more food in her body.

No crop issues,impacted or sour crop?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply. We did get a couple bantams in mid September that I had in a coop in our garage with her and one bird we have had since april that was recovering from wry neck and a pullet we bought inAugust, they are all healthy now and down in our main coop. I had her with them because she hates being in the main coop, she is always picked on and prefers to be in small areasor with us, she acts more like a parrot, she likes to perch and pretty much stays there, so I was concidering making her an inhouse bird, was waiting for a large parrot cage... so I put her in with them for the time being and they were a little family. All my other birds are healthy. Earlier in my thread I thought she was egg bound, she acted like it, to the best of my knowledge she has never laid, she is over a year old, So I though egg bound or internal laying, but no swelling, no broken yolk eggs in her poo. This morning as I was feeding her with her yogurt, vitamin water, chick layer, egg mush...I notice a very sweet smell at her vent. poo is still fine white and grey color, and she also does like a stevie wonder kinda thing with her head after she shakes off me force feeding her. I gave her about 5ml of her mush and some drops of water, she has tiny bit of strength left, open her eyes for just s second then its back to sleep. I have her laying on her side with a pillow---crazy...so do you thing cocci??? What can I do, or should I just cull her. Sorry my typing is a mess, my computer is really slow for some reason...And thank you for caring

Coccidiosis is a possibility since she has been with new birds who could have exposed her to a new strain she hasn't become immune to. Treatment with Corid liquid 2 tsp (or powder 1 tsp) per gallon of water for 5-7 days would not hurt her, but could help. Of course she needs to drink it to get the treatment. If she is too weak, she probably would need tube feeding. So sorry that she isn't doing well.

Back
Top Bottom