is my chicken choking on something or is she sick ?

bguerra

Hatching
Mar 8, 2024
she has lump near her throat is seems to be hurting her when i touch it and is making this odd noise. she hasn’t been eating and is skinny she is making a wheezing noise or grasp of air like she can’t breath ill post a video

Is this a former battery bird? Can you get a picture of the lump near her throat?
she might be i got her last year and yes i can give it just feels like a lump in that area i don’t know it it’s normal or not
IMG_6828.jpeg

She appears to be a ex battery bird as she's been debeaked. There should not be a lump where you are pointing, is it hard, soft & squishy, etc. , what does it feel like? Does it move around when you manipulate it? Have someone hold her, open the beak and use a small light to look as far down her throat as you can, see if you can see anything lodged there or if there is any noticeable swelling, or any plaques inside the mouth or throat.
Also feel her crop, is there anything in it? Image of a full crop below.
crop3-1024x900.jpg

I wouldn't massage until you have a better idea of what it could be. If something sharp has lodged there and you massage it, it could do more damage or make it even more stuck. Chickens have been known to swallow all sorts of bizarre things. When you look in her mouth and throat make sure you can also see her tongue.

She appears to be a ex battery bird as she's been debeaked. There should not be a lump where you are pointing, is it hard, soft & squishy, etc. , what does it feel like? Does it move around when you manipulate it? Have someone hold her, open the beak and use a small light to look as far down her throat as you can, see if you can see anything lodged there or if there is any noticeable swelling, or any plaques inside the mouth or throat.
Also feel her crop, is there anything in it? Image of a full crop below.
View attachment 3766824
her lump is moveable and i’ve been feeding them sunflower seeds and it feels as if something is stuck and everytime i massage it she opens her mouth and there is nothing in her crop and she’s been having diarrhea but i will look inside of her throat

I wouldn't massage until you have a better idea of what it could be. If something sharp has lodged there and you massage it, it could do more damage or make it even more stuck. Chickens have been known to swallow all sorts of bizarre things. When you look in her mouth and throat make sure you can also see her tongue.

her lump is moveable and i’ve been feeding them sunflower seeds and it feels as if something is stuck and everytime i massage it she opens her mouth and there is nothing in her crop and she’s been having diarrhea but i will look inside of her throat
What's her complete diet? Is the lump under the skin or deeper?

Back
Top Bottom