Please help my girl

JadeFarms

🙄🤚 Loving life 💜
May 3, 2019
Florida
I’ve had this girl for 2 years and I went to check on her and she is not doing well. My 2 year old male also passed away today.
She keeps getting extremely cold and feels like she hasn’t eaten for a while. She’s super weak but still alive. I don’t have any electrolytes unfortunately. I really don’t wanna lose her.

Make your own electrolytes from a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar and a quarter teaspoon of salt and baking soda.

Is it possible these two birds have been eating something moldy?
I don’t think they have eaten anything moldy, the younger two are acting very healthy. I’ll check their cage in the morning. If they did is there anything I can do?
Thanks for the information on the electrolytes.

You could also use molasses instead of sugar. That's the main ingredient in Nutri-drench.

Two years old isn't young for a quail. If she's coturnix that's old, but not extremely old. If she's a button she's quite old.

Since you've mentioned that she's cold, I would put her under a heat lamp, but not as warm as you would keep a chick. Maybe in the upper 70s-80s. Make sure she stays warm.

Get some Save-a-chick or Nutri-drench as soon as you can. Once she has some liquid and calories into her, hopefully she will get some more energy. At that point, start giving her things that she really likes to tempt her to eat more.

Have you seen any other symptoms? What does her poop look like? Pictures of her and your setup?

You could also use molasses instead of sugar. That's the main ingredient in Nutri-drench.

Two years old isn't young for a quail. If she's coturnix that's old, but not extremely old. If she's a button she's quite old.

Since you've mentioned that she's cold, I would put her under a heat lamp, but not as warm as you would keep a chick. Maybe in the upper 70s-80s. Make sure she stays warm.
Okay, I bought an extra heat lamp yesterday so that’s perfect. She is a coturnix. We do have molasses too. Is there a certain brand or will any work?

Just use the sugar. Molasses will stimulate the intestines to produce diarrhea. That may cause dehydration. In this situation, these are sick birds, and the risk is not worth it.

Molasses is in Nutri-drench but it's given in such small amounts it won't cause diarrhea. But using it for more than a few days will cause diarrhea.

Both. Molasses is useful in flushing the intestines because it stimulates them to quickly move material through and out.

Poultry Nutri-drench uses molasses as a carrying fluid for the nutrients in it. But the doses are so small it doesn't cause problems unless it's used for more than a few days. It's not usually an issue as long as chickens are healthy. It just results in watery poops.

In this instance, these birds will hopefully be drinking most of the cup of electrolytes. If molasses is used instead of sugar, this could give them diarrhea and they shouldn't be losing any fluids in that manner as it could undo the good you're trying to accomplish with the electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom