please help my goose

MBF2013

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Hi all. We are a small farm located in Georgia. I have a problem with our goose, Herman. He is an African Gray and is about 18 months old. We noticed about 2 weeks ago that his left side of his face was swollen, and his nasal cavity is inflammed on the left side as well. So bad that its coming out through his nose. We immediately researched and found we could give him duramycin in his drinking water. We have been administering for the full two weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Can someone reccomend something to help him? It seems like it is a severe sinus infection.... But, you tell me. Thanks so much, Magnolia Bell Farms

Wow! I can't believe no has responded yet, since you moved your post. I'm so sorry. I don't have Geese yet so I'm not much help. Would it be possible to take Herman to a vet? Not sure what part of Ga you are in, but I know of a one that treats birds in Bowdon. I am wondering if he has an abscess that may need to be lanced/drained. He may also need a different type of antibiotics. The only other thing I can think of is maybe warm epsom salt compresses. Just have to be careful it does not get in his mouth....it's also a laxative. I would also do the ACV in his water. It will help loosen the mucus and help dry out the infection.I hope he is still eating and drinking...? I would also suggest giving him some extra poultry vitamins just to help boost his system while he fights this off.

I sure do hope someone else will respond that knows about Geese!

Keeping you and Herman in my thoughts and prayers....

ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar. Look for labeled "Organic" or "Mother". It will look cloudy and have particles in it. Shake it before each mixing. 1 Tb. to 1 gallon of water.

Poor guy! He's got a strong will to survive doesn't he. :eek:) Glad to know he's still eating....

MBF

Try posting about Herman on the Geese Thread... you could pm Celtic Oaks Farm.... they have a wealth of knowledge about geese

Good luck!

Can you shoot me a link to Celtic Oaks? I cannot find a contact for them.... :(

Hi!

I pm'd CelticOaksFarm to ask if they can contact you directly in regard to Herman... if you do not hear from them soon I suggest you type in the search discussions reviews ( see top of page here.....) and type in their name... click on the avatar... look on the left column and find PM... type message and you will get through... please give CelticOaksFarm some time to respond to my request that they contact you directly... they have expertise advice.

Good luck!

Any problems please post on Emergencies etc or contact me and I will respond as soon as I see your message!

Thank you so much. I spoke to them yesterday. I have a little more knowledge now bc of her. Thanks so much. You guys have beena blessing.
And Herman thanks you too!

Back
Top Bottom