Please help! My hen is pooping slime and bubbles and acting sluggish!!

JustBabyMargo

Hatch-aholic
Premium Feather Member
Jul 7, 2021
Oregon
Hi! I have an about 5 year old hen who is acting sluggish and pooping bubbles. I’m not sure what this is or what I can do about it. She just got put back in with my main flock after being broody and hatching out a turkey. She’s not acting totally abnormal she’s just super sluggish and has slimed vent feathers. She still drinks water and walks around a bit she’s just resting right now. I’m not sure if she’s just trying to go broody again because she did something almost identical to this right before she went broody. She’s also been more skidding when we come over to her. Or I don’t know if it is stress related? It got up to 91 degrees yesterday and today is supposed to 102. But she has lived through 117 degrees. Please help I’m not sure what to do.
CECF77D8-328A-4EFC-8CEC-2B1BC12D4FB8.jpeg
7002BA5F-21D7-40EC-BB10-2BCC5D94EB6D.jpeg

AB82AFAA-8C20-4020-8A8C-3D6DDCF817C9.jpeg

This is her from last time-
8CE6744E-3D85-441E-81D3-55F88F5F84A5.jpeg

And then she turned into this-
151632C9-D23B-4123-ACB8-2C5D5363F8C7.jpeg

I would get her taking some water, and give some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes. Gatorade, pedialyte are okay in a pinch. The large amount of white urates could be dehydration. Break her broodiness right away to prevent her from getting worse. That is best done in a wire dog crate or pen with no bedding, but give food and water. A little scratch or scrambled egg bits to peck would be good. It takes about 5 days, and a roost in the crate can be helpful.

I would get her taking some water, and give some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes. Gatorade, pedialyte are okay in a pinch. The large amount of white urates could be dehydration. Break her broodiness right away to prevent her from getting worse. That is best done in a wire dog crate or pen with no bedding, but give food and water. A little scratch or scrambled egg bits to peck would be good. It takes about 5 days, and a roost in the crate can be helpful.
Her crop is full of just water and I put some chick electrolytes in their water but I don’t have any Gatorade or anything. I will give her nutridrench. She’s not broody now that’s a picture from last time she was sick and she turned broody.😉 Could she possibly be molting soon?

Just use either the chick electrolytes or the NutriDrench. I have had hens who had been broody have puffy crops, but check her crop in the mornings to make sure that it is starting to empty overnight. If she has a sour or bad odor from her beak if you gently massage her crop, she might be getting a sour crop. She doesn’t look to be molting yet, but some of mine are starting to drop feathers right now. Have you wormed your chickens recently? You can collect some droppings, and ask your vet to do a fecal float to look for worms. Or Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are used by many to worm chickens.

Just use either the chick electrolytes or the NutriDrench. I have had hens who had been broody have puffy crops, but check her crop in the mornings to make sure that it is starting to empty overnight. If she has a sour or bad odor from her beak if you gently massage her crop, she might be getting a sour crop. She doesn’t look to be molting yet, but some of mine are starting to drop feathers right now. Have you wormed your chickens recently? You can collect some droppings, and ask your vet to do a fecal float to look for worms. Or Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are used by many to worm chickens.
Will do! Yeah our chickens were wormed right before she went broody the first time!😉 She’s jumping into nest boxes now so maybe she needs to lay? Perhaps it’s stressful for her? I’ll update soon but thank you for all your help!😊
42B52BE9-D0BB-4E82-8E73-ED0E9370F00E.jpeg

Update: She’s egg bound! We already soaked her but it didn’t seem to help too much! I heard you can give them tums? What else should I do??

I was wondering if it might be a soft egg. My australorp acts like that and has issues with soft eggs the hotter it is.
Did you soak in warm epsoom salt water?
Tums or citracal is what I give mine. But, I think tums is faster acting?

I was wondering if it might be a soft egg. My australorp acts like that and has issues with soft eggs the hotter it is.
Did you soak in warm epsoom salt water?
Tums or citracal is what I give mine. But, I think tums is faster acting?
Yeah I soaked her in Epsom salt and gave her some tums. We can’t get her to pass anything and she laid egg whites earlier.

Do you think that's all was in there? Can you feel an egg?
I didn’t check she is very snappy. And I think I would throw up also. Her abdomen is still huge. She is in our garage in a container with a towel over it right now. But the egg might have cracked inside of her. I don’t think we can take her to a vet so she might not make it.😞

Back
Top Bottom