Please help my little boy!! 🙏🙏

I live in America, in the state of Utah

I'm not sure on his age...but he is still young. He doesn't even have spurs yet

It got 14 degrees Fahrenheit that night...

He eats scratch grains and all flock layer pellets. Some times I get them meal worms and kitchen scraps
What percent of his diet is Scratch grains? In other words, are you mixing it in with the feed?

If you can think of anything else that has happened that's unusual, every clue helps. It would help to know if your garage is insulated and if anything ever freezes, such as water, when it's below freezing weather.

So far, all we have is a very cold night, a comb that is turning black, and lethargic behavior. That points to possible light frostbite. His comb isn't white or blistered so it doesn't yet appear serious. But he may have a light case of hypothermia.

Give him heated sugar water, one teaspoon to a cup of water. For the next few hours, keep him in a warm place around 55F to 65F. Wrap him in a big, thick towel for about half an hour that has been heated in the dryer. Sit and hold him while he warms up in the heated towel. Then keep him at around 55F tonight.

Meanwhile, if you do not know how cold your garage gets, it would be a good idea to find out. Stick a thermometer in there tonight.

There is nothing wrong with providing heat if a chicken needs it. Many people do not heat their coops, and it gets way below zero. However, there may be climate considerations that make it necessary to provide heat to keep things above freezing. Not everyone can safely house their chickens in a Woods coop. But you need to figure out a way to provide heat safely and efficiently for your situation.

I use a party cup to measure there feed I do 2 cups all flock 1 cup scratch

Yes I mix them..
I would stop mixing in Scratch. Scratch should be a treat only. Its likely causing them to pic through the feed and only eat the scratch. This can cause protein deficiency etc. I would feed free choice All Flock, and feed scratch as a treat. That should only be 1 tbsp per hen per day.
How many birds are you feeding with that much feed? To make it easier on yourself, just fill up a feeder and put it in a dry place. Simple as that. Don't worry, I remember making it so hard on myself as a first time chicken keeper. ;)

Thank you all for your help!!!

As of right now he is doing great! He's hanging out with his lady friend right now...lol 😂🤣🐓

So here is what I did...

So I did end up bringing him inside and warmed him up with a blow dryer. Once I was done warming him up I made him sugar water (shout out to azygous for the measurements) he drank so much...! I also gave his some Apple slices, he loved those.

I'll update y'all tomorrow !!

I'm sorry I don't update y'all

So...here are some update pics..
Before and after

Before...
P_20220204_151119.jpg

P_20220204_151201.jpg

Back
Top Bottom