PLEASE HELP! My PET GANDER appears to have worms and I have NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE...

I just saw the video, it could be gapeworm, I haven’t seen it in my geese personally so I can’t really say, but it’s more likely that he has a respiratory infection going on, the wormer won’t treat it if it’s viral, bacterial, or fungal.

I know getting him seen by a vet and getting some diagnostic testing isn’t possible for you now so my advice is to try to keep him comfortable as much as you can. I’m so sorry. 😔

Oh lol sorry .
My brain isn't working. It's a tiny town in TX, I will call them tomorrow to see but from what they told me, this was the only one they had. It's a little bitty bitty feed store with a few extra items in the country in TX. LOL one member did mention some other items I may be able to use, that are branded for other animals, but are ok for geese. I will call tomorrow to see if they carry any of those. Thank you for the idea.
It is the only poultry specific dewormer they carry but the active ingredient is identical to the horse, cattle, dog, pig... dewormers. It is flavored for the targeted animal. Safeguard makes an alfalfa pelleted product that can easily be mixed in with their feed. Cost $13. A horse tube cost $10. Can easily be put on a piece of lettuce. Each product will treat approximately 10 25# geese for 5 days. $1.25/goose. I use the liquid horse product on my dogs as it's about 1/3 the cost
I would not keep him with the goslings. He has to be shedding eggs and you don't want them picking them up.

Has Pretty Bird’s voice always been like it is in in this video? Low pitch and a little hoarse?

Yes lol. He has always been different. As a swan x Canada hybrid, he doesn't sound like any other goose I have ever heard. He is about 3.5 years old and always sounded like this. He slightly improved last night once my husband gave him attention. He LOVES my husband more then anyone. My husband is a 100% disabled veteran and Pretty Bird has Always been very protective of him. We hatched pretty bird, and I raised him but hubby was always there and pretty seemed to always know when hubby was in pain... He got a little attitude when he became sexually mature at about 2, but we love him no matter what. He is still a good boy and only has nippy moments. He is my baby lol. I always joke that I have 2 children and 1 feathered hybrid child 😜. But yes, his voice has always been like this. Thank you all for all your advice !!! It's been very helpful!!

Yes lol. He has always been different. As a swan x Canada hybrid, he doesn't sound like any other goose I have ever heard. He is about 3.5 years old and always sounded like this. He slightly improved last night once my husband gave him attention. He LOVES my husband more then anyone. My husband is a 100% disabled veteran and Pretty Bird has Always been very protective of him. We hatched pretty bird, and I raised him but hubby was always there and pretty seemed to always know when hubby was in pain... He got a little attitude when he became sexually mature at about 2, but we love him no matter what. He is still a good boy and only has nippy moments. He is my baby lol. I always joke that I have 2 children and 1 feathered hybrid child 😜. But yes, his voice has always been like this. Thank you all for all your advice !!! It's been very helpful!!
How is he doing today?

How is he doing today?
He is hanging in there. I'm trying to set up a area for him inside so he can spent the next few days inside, away from the heat. Based on what I been advised. When it is time for him to go back out, I will acclimate him slowly, just as I did with the Goslings.

Ok so I found out that Ivermectin works faster then some other dewormers and only requires a few drops per dose. Could any of you lmk if you know anything about ivermectin, if I should use the 1% or 5% and if I should be getting the injectable or the pour on for oral dosing?! A picture would be most helpful! A friend who dearly cares for pretty bird, has offered to send me the dewormer he needs, which left me a grateful mess. But I need to know which one is the ivermectin everyone is talking about .. please?

A lot of people around the forums haven’t had much success with ivermectin from what I’ve seen. I remember one post about a roo with suspected worms that wasn’t getting any better despite being given ivermectin, then they gave him safeguard and he had dead worm diarrhea within the day.

Ivermectin does make their bodies more or less unpleasant to mites from what I’ve heard though.

Maybe someone else here with more expierience with ivermectin can add in.

Back
Top Bottom