Please help, my Rooster doesn't seem to heal from his issue.

Nickvrad

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2023
Hello friends, I need your help with my rooster. As you can see in the pictures he's having these .... scubs? And now is both sides as well. I tried blue kote and other mana pro similar sprays for cuts, injuries, fungus etc and nothing seems to work. Any idea what he is having and what's the treatment? By the way he eats and acts normal without any other obvious issue.

Attachments

• Resized_20230725_190539.jpeg
    Resized_20230725_190539.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Resized_20230725_190545.jpeg
    Resized_20230725_190545.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Resized_20230725_190559.jpeg
    Resized_20230725_190559.jpeg
    715.1 KB · Views: 18
Are there mosquitos in your area? The 3rd photo looks like Dry Pox, the first two may have been pox scabs that gotten scratched off. Fowl Pox is caused by mosquito bites, Dry Pox is "easier" to treat than Wet Pox ... You can apply Triple Antibiotic but there's really nothing you can do but let it run its course. Remove any standing water or spray where mosquitos would be an issue.

It looks like injuries. Is there another rooster who may have done this, or any sharp objects or fencing where he could have gotten jabbed?
There is another rooster which he always beat him, but it was usually face scratches like a little above the beak. He never had any serious ones because the other is behind a fence. Plus I sprayed him with poultry healing medicine and he didn't improve so far. A fight with another rooster was my first guess too, but the non-improvement state made me suspicious.

Combs can take a few weeks to heal. Is there a way to keep them separated? You could pen one, then pen the other for periods of time, to be with the hens.
The thing is the other rooster is always separate with his own hens as well, so the only way they fight is by crashing each other through the fence.

Are there mosquitos in your area? The 3rd photo looks like Dry Pox, the first two may have been pox scabs that gotten scratched off. Fowl Pox is caused by mosquito bites, Dry Pox is "easier" to treat than Wet Pox ... You can apply Triple Antibiotic but there's really nothing you can do but let it run its course. Remove any standing water or spray where mosquitos would be an issue.
Actually, there is mosquitos, but I couldn't imagine they would be the source of the problem. Do you mean the Triple Antibiotic for this situation or Terramycin? Thank you for your reply!

Triple Antibiotic Ointment is what I use on mine for Dry Pox.
When I first saw it, it did look like injury (#1 & #2) so I agree with @Eggcessive on keeping the Roos separate & combs do take time to heal. Pic #3 made me think Dry Pox but I could be wrong and TAO won't hurt.
Terramycin is an antibiotic for the eye, never tried it on wounds.

You can't let himself see the other one in there own pen. It will never heal if he keeps crashing into the fence. Get some cardboard and block his view from the other rooster.

Back
Top Bottom