Please help,, my Silkie roo

Yvonnensilkies

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 20, 2013
My silkie roo is about 8 months to a year old. Since I got him (around 4 months ago) he has always been very quiet and withdrawn from the rest of the flock and pretty much just keeps to himself sunbathing on the grass when I let everybody free range in the garden. I noticed over time that he can't see out of one eye, but there is nothing physical that I can see wrong with it. It's not cloudy or damaged. I confirmed this today when he didn't come out of the coop and I was worried. He didn't see me at all on that one side, I could even wave my finger close to the eye and he did not respond. However, on the other side he could see fine.

He NEVER crows, he is always alone ( I have one other silkie roo and hens). Nobody picks on him, they leave him alone, and everybody sleeps together at night. So what's wrong with him? Can anybody help me? Could it be worms? I just don't get it and I don't want to lose him :-(

What else is wrong with him that is making you ask if he is going to be ok? Is he underweight? How is his poop? When you got him, did you get him by himself? Do you keep all the birds together?

Maybe I'm being neurotic, but he just seems too quiet and distant to me. I got them all together as a family. I trimmed his foot feathers today because he was very obviously showing difficulty in walking, they were too long...maybe that was why he was so withdrawn? He perked up a bit after that and even started communicating with the others :) What concerns me is, he never crows and he is just so slow..not as energetic as the others, and sometimes he seems to gasp into the air.

Maybe I'm being neurotic, but he just seems too quiet and distant to me. I got them all together as a family. I trimmed his foot feathers today because he was very obviously showing difficulty in walking, they were too long...maybe that was why he was so withdrawn? He perked up a bit after that and even started communicating with the others :) What concerns me is, he never crows and he is just so slow..not as energetic as the others, and sometimes he seems to gasp into the air.
What was wrong with his feathers on feet? I have silkies never noticed their feathers on feet causing problems. Check his feet for bumblefoot.

Check his crop daily to ensure he is eating enough food. Are the feathers on crest hanging in his eyes,i do occasionally trim the crest feathers around eyes. Gasping for air is concerning,any other symptoms such as discharge from eyes/nostrils,raspy breathing? How does his poop look?

You are sure he is a rooster? All 4 of my roosters crow like crazy,they all live together with the hens and crow to each other constantly.

Back
Top Bottom