Head injury and flat out Roo

HummerHaven

Chirping
Apr 25, 2023
My sweet Roo-bacca is dying and I don't know what to do :(

Yesterday when I gave my babies their BSFL for their evening snack Roo came running like always and when I turned around from putting the scoop away he was laying on the ground with one leg twisted under him but still pecking up the BSFL like crazy. I freaked out and had my husband get him out of the run (we haven't been free ranging since we are having work done in the yard and don't want the chickens to swallow a stray screw) as soon as he was put down he started running to me like nothing happened. So I scooped him up and walked around with him for a bit feeling his crop (it felt empty which was weird) and since he wanted down I put him back in the run. I watched him for a bit and all seemed normal again.

This morning my husband noticed that Roo wasn't out (around 7am) and checked the coop and saw him huddled in a corner, he thought Roo was still cold or something. At round 8 he checked again and Roo was flat out with a bloody head. While he was watching Roo Too came in and pecked his head, he shooed him and took Roo out to the yard. I thought he was already dead but as soon as he heard me crying his name he lifted his head and looked at me.

We called the mobile farm vet but he's a ways away and is supposed to call us back when he can. I brought Roo inside in the little area of our basement where their brooder used to be and set up the brooder plate as a heater and have him wrapped in towels with one draped over the brooder to keep the heat in. I'm sitting with him because I don't want him to die alone. I just don't know what else to do.

I'm so sorry! Does he have a pecking injury? Clean it with warm soapy water or saline. If possible irrigate it, like with a squeeze bottle so that you're not touching the wound. Then slather with plain Neosporin. Repeat twice a day until it forms a nice scab.

In the meantime offer raw yolk, keep him warm and in a semi dark place for 24 hours or sooner if he stirs.

I'm so sorry! Does he have a pecking injury? Clean it with warm soapy water or saline. If possible irrigate it, like with a squeeze bottle so that you're not touching the wound. Then slather with plain Neosporin. Repeat twice a day until it forms a nice scab.

In the meantime offer raw yolk, keep him warm and in a semi dark place for 24 hours or sooner if he stirs.
Thank you for your help, but sadly my sweet Roo-bacca passed away just a few minutes ago :( He was the best bird and the sweetest boy! I will miss him every day! But now the question becomes what went wrong and how can I prevent it from happening again? It seemed so quick, but I know chickens mask their illnesses. We have called the Co-op extension to see about a necropsy.

Thank you again, I just wish he could have held on.

Thank you for your help, but sadly my sweet Roo-bacca passed away just a few minutes ago :( He was the best bird and the sweetest boy! I will miss him every day! But now the question becomes what went wrong and how can I prevent it from happening again? It seemed so quick, but I know chickens mask their illnesses. We have called the Co-op extension to see about a necropsy.

I'm so sorry 😭💔

Oh no! I’m so sorry 😞

I'm so sorry 😭💔
Thank you so much, it's been heartbreaking! Just before he passed he lifted his head, opened his eyes and looked right at me. I told him he was a good boy and I loved him and he slowly closed his eyes and laid back down, so I was a little hopeful. But now I think he was just saying goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom