barred rock rooster wont move left side of body

Lelers0820

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2023
hello there. Just today I found one of our barred rock cockerels(about 4 months old) lying funny on the ground while the rest of the flock was free ranging just fine with him. We've found that for some reason his limbs on the left side of his body won't work, his leg and wing are completely limp. His left eye also doesn't seem to be quite right, he seems to rely on his right eye to see all around him. He still has an appetite. The poor guy makes sad clucks and hobbles to move now. What could be wrong and how can I help him? Is this a brain injury or a disease?

I'm sorry about your cockerel.

Can you post photos of him and his eye? Is he pooping?
A video of how he moves may be helpful - upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

If you haven't done so, I'd separate him from the others with his own food/water so he's not struggling to keep up and can rest.

Check him for any signs of injury or bruising to make sure he doesn't have hidden wounds under his feathers.

Can he eat/drink on his own?
Offer supportive care for the time being, work on hydration, get him eating. If you have poultry vitamins start those or if you have B-Complex, give him 1/4 tablet.

Hard to know what's happening with him. If you see no signs of injury, he could be suffering from Marek's disease.

he's a picturee of him when we found him, he is currently being kept alone with food and water. He can eat and drink just fine by himself. I can't find any injuries on his body too, ill have to research mareks disease to see if that's what this is. I'll look into chicken vitamins too. Thanks for your input

Attachments

• IMG_6786.jpg
    IMG_6786.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom