Young Rooster with an injured leg

farmer4363eo

Hatching
Sep 29, 2023
I came home yesterday to find that one of my roosters who is about four months old (like the rest) didn’t come when I called. Which they usually do. I found him lying down in the bushes and when I went towards him he got up and was limping not setting his leg on the ground. I left him alone for a bit so he would lye done and once again when I went towards him he went off to lay down by the flock. Sometime after he was lying down and didn’t run from me when I picked him up he didn’t stand up however. I put him in the coop placing him on the shelf next to the roosting bar and the other chickens were outside so they left him alone. He was lying on the roosting bar when I came back to the coop he did so so his leg was comfortable. He allowed me to pick him up without a problem or moving so I could isolate him in a different coop. He has food and water and I have seen him drink I don’t believe he is eating but he has leaned himself up against the feeder for comfort. Since it’s particularly cold he has a lot of shavings but for good measure I put one of the calm young hens his age with him in the coop. She hasn’t been bothering him and he has appeared to move around through the night but I’m not sure what to do. Please let me know and any ideas to help and if he will live.

- Thanks

Hello! I'm sorry! Can you post pictures? I would keep him as immobile as possible. I had a hen that injured her leg and I kept her in an enclosure for two months in the run before her leg healed up.

Hello! I'm sorry! Can you post pictures? I would keep him as immobile as possible. I had a hen that injured her leg and I kept her in an enclosure for two months in the run before her leg healed up.
Thanks. I’m not with home right now but he’s just been lying down against the feeder so his leg isn’t bugging him form pressure underneath his body

Sorry for your loss. Welcome to BYC. If you have the body, you could have your state vet do a necropsy to look for what was wrong. When chickens become lame, they are in danger of becoming dehydrated and starving when they cannot reach food and water. Here is a list of state vets to contact if you want a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for your loss. Welcome to BYC. If you have the body, you could have your state vet do a necropsy to look for what was wrong. When chickens become lame, they are in danger of becoming dehydrated and starving when they cannot reach food and water. Here is a list of state vets to contact if you want a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you. However I am in no area near a poultry vet so unfortunately I cannot have his body examined. I suspect he either jumped from a roosting bar injuring it or during a fight with the other roosters.

Back
Top Bottom