Please help! New chick mom☺️

Nutri drench is sold right now at Tractor Supply (during chick season) otherwise you can order it online of course....if you have contact with 4H any of the rabbit people will know where to get it (its basically the same nutri drench). Otherwise use a drop of dark molasses in the wet crumble... Molasses is what attracts them to the Nutri drench.

UPDATE: I dropped fed her water every half hour today. She would NOT touch the tofu. I made sure she drank about 7 drops at a time. She was still uncomfortable trying to poop so I gave her 2 drops of olive oil (saw that on here for constipation). She pooped about an hour ago and didn't make a sound. Just a normal poop! So, I decided to try the warm water and crumbles and she went crazy. Ate for about 10 minutes straight!!!! Took a 5 minute nap and is now eating it again and knocking the others out of the way to do so. She is even standing in the middle of the food
1f602.png
1f603.png
1f602.png
hopefully this is a sign of great things to come!!! Since we got her I have NEVER seen her with this much energy. I can't thank you enough. She might not be here tonight if it wasn't for your advice. I am still cautious and will monitor her carefully but at this point I at least feel so happy for her for the first time. Much love to you and this amazing site
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

Does anyone know how much oil can be used if she starts hurting again? Or how often?

Sooooo glad you remembered the olive oil! I knew she was getting constipated! That can kill a chick, too, although it's a lot slower and very painful.
I'm as overjoyed as Blooie to hear our little patient is improving, by what sounds like, leaps and bounds!

The amount of olive oil required will depend on how large she is. Constipation can happen any time, although it seems to happen with week olds more than any. You really can't overdose her, so don't worry about it. You just want to make sure you give enough to get the job done. I've used olive oil in both ends of a chicken, sometimes at the same time when I'm not real sure what's wrong. Sort of like castor oil was given in the olden days as a catchall remedy. And you can give that to chickens, too.

I bet she might eat the tofu, too, if you offered it to her again. Here's a trick. Offer it to all of them together. She will probably eat some if the others are eating it.

Did you manage to locate that Nutri-drench?

Sooooo glad you remembered the olive oil! I knew she was getting constipated! That can kill a chick, too, although it's a lot slower and very painful.
I'm as overjoyed as Blooie to hear our little patient is improving, by what sounds like, leaps and bounds!

The amount of olive oil required will depend on how large she is. Constipation can happen any time, although it seems to happen with week olds more than any. You really can't overdose her, so don't worry about it. You just want to make sure you give enough to get the job done. I've used olive oil in both ends of a chicken, sometimes at the same time when I'm not real sure what's wrong. Sort of like castor oil was given in the olden days as a catchall remedy. And you can give that to chickens, too.

I bet she might eat the tofu, too, if you offered it to her again. Here's a trick. Offer it to all of them together. She will probably eat some if the others are eating it.

Did you manage to locate that Nutri-drench?

No! There is no poultry drench here anywhere
1f614.png
although I am so pleased that the wet crumbles are making her happy. Just gave her more this morning and she is going insane. I did the tofu with all of them for 2 hours and none of them would touch it at all! Do you think 2 drops of oil every 4 hours for a day or two is ok?? She is back to crying this morning when she poops. It is so hard to understand what not to do. Lol

A couple drops of olive oil sounds like a terrific plan! You should trust your instincts. They've been right on all along.

Since the chick is eating the wet crumbles, I would ferment some and try that. If you can't get a hold of the Nutri-drench, the fermented feed would be a great, no cost way of getting extra vitamins and pro-biotics into all of the chicks.

Take a plastic bucket, fill it halfway with feed, cover the feed with warm water, add a tablespoon of ACV to kick start the fermentation and stick the bucket in a warm place for at least 24 hours, stirring occasionally. It won't reach maximum fermentation until after around 48 hours, but you can start feeding the chicks from it after 24 hours. They'll all benefit from it.

I made a fermented feed trough for chicks out of an ice cube tray and it has a top for it made from one half inch metal screen bent over the top to keep the chicks from wallowing in it, which they love to do as you seen already.

Anyway, congratulations on the great progress the chick is making. You're a terrific chick mama!

Sorry to here about your problems, bresse farms online has a great product called hydro- feed gel that gels up when added to water which will hydrate the chick and has high protein , that will help you with this chick and is good to keep some around for things like this, hope you the best

Awe thanks! I did have to special order them! Silkies are in such high demand its a heavens gift we reserved those 5!
~Fizzy Chicken
The Fizziest Of Them All

So update! My baby has mucous strings in her poop. It looks like a thin line of string after she is done. I am at a loss. Her wings are dropping and she looks sad although she is eating and drinking on her own. I am so overwhelmed not knowing what to do for her
1f61e.png
any other advise is welcome. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. By the way I am doing the preventative treatment for cocci with amprolium.

Back
Top Bottom