Please Help! New Duckling Owners...

Ok, we will be very cautious!! Will it be obvious if Scuba isn't accepting the little one? Any signs to look for?
You'll know the difference by the way Scuba reacts, she'll either be willing to let the lil one come close or she'll start to pick on it. when first meeting maybe have a bit of distraction like some dried meal worms for Scuba, baby may not be interested in them right off but may entice scuba to focus more on eating the worms than the duckling. Hopefully Scuba will take right too the baby. I had single ducklings hatch 4 weeks apart a couple years ago and the 4 week old took right to the new duckling they have been inseparable ever since, Youngest duck was with a mama duck so I didn't have to worry about older one getting to close until the younger one was stronger.

Ok, we will be very cautious!! Will it be obvious if Scuba isn't accepting the little one? Any signs to look for?
He'll open his mouth and aim for the little youngster, usually go after the tail, when there backs are turned. YEH, cheap shot, I know. LOL.. Ive noticed the behavior with my older ducks and I take my youngsters out for a walk they will attack from behind..

Scuba will try to nip at the youngster, most likely, at first. Perhaps you can sometimes put the little one in a wire cage and place it near where Scuba hangs out. Make sure Scuba can't get her bill through the bars. That way, they can see each other more often. The youngster will need a heat source for a while, though, so going in the garage at night might not be an option.

Last edited:
Well, that was a bust. We get there and they didn't have ducklings...they told us to try back tomorrow. But we have good news, we got a wooden doghouse! One step closer! We're thinking of making the roof hinge so it can be opened and cleaned easily. We're also going to add a chicken wire run and seal the inside of the house so it doesn't get super stinky

I wouldn't waste my time with a chicken wire run.. ..chicken wire will barely slow a predator.

Clint

Will the ducks be outside all the time? If so, you will want to make sure that you use sturdy wire because there are predators everywhere. I know someone who has an imprinted house duck who was following her around outside. She turned her back for less than a minute and the duck was attacked.

Last edited:
Well, that was a bust. We get there and they didn't have ducklings...they told us to try back tomorrow. But we have good news, we got a wooden doghouse! One step closer! We're thinking of making the roof hinge so it can be opened and cleaned easily. We're also going to add a chicken wire run and seal the inside of the house so it doesn't get super stinky
Nice I like it..

We're more worried about Scuba flying away (her wings are HUGE) or weaseling her way out under the fence. We know to be cautious of predators, which furthered our desire to have an enclosed run for her. Safety first!

Back
Top Bottom