Please help newby...PARASITES on chickens. Pls help identify

I think a cup of wood ash would be fine. I like the cold just not that cold. 100 degrees in July is normal for us but two summers ago it was 100 + in May, We had over 100 days of over 100 degrees, it was bad. Get in your car and the temperature showed as 120 and would only cool down to the lower 90's at night.

Don't use straw its hallow and bugs like to hide in straw. Pine shavings work well. You need more ventilation to keep the moisture down. I have heard wood ash may burn if wet, might want to research that if your chickens are having moisture problems. Sevins dust works well or ivermectin drops.
Sounds like you have lice
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Took a while but I got some pictures of the **** little buggers. Gross tiny fast things. Very hard to catch.
Some were bigger but way to quick to grab. They just darted into some feathers and were gone. Most of these I found near the rear on the legs or begween the legs and body. Near the vents. Only two of my chickens have a lot of these. An older buff cochin hen that always stays near the floor. Shes to heavy to go to the highest roost. And a black rooster. Some other chickens have a few here and there but not many.

Pic:

Those are three little bugs. Oblong bodies. You can see some have red inside. I think thats blood that they have been sucking. Yuk.
The feather has some residue on it. It looks like chicken mite eggs. And the little bugs look like chicken lice. Any ideas?

Those are lice as evidenced by their eggs on the feather. Lice are fast movers, mites are slow movers or dont move at all...they are too busy sucking blood. Sevin dust will take care of them. I've read that coconut oil will remove the eggs from the feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom