Please help, not sure what the problem is...

Good advice from all. Poultry vitamins containing riboflavin (B2) would be best, and that rules out Poultry NutriDrench. Mareks could be possible at her age, vitamin deficiency, or a possible infection or egg binding are all things to consider. Keeping her in a crate close to food and water, then letting her out often to judge how she is walking are good. I think you are dojng a great job, and it is a big deal treating a sick chicken by yourself. Feeding wet grower feed, cooked egg, tuna, or liver in small amounts are good. Keep us posted on how she is doing. Here is some reading about Mareks, but hopefully, that is not the issue:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I’ve just been giving her her wet food and no treats. No vitamins just human vitamins.

I feed her what the rest of my flock eats, 18% grower food. It’s not abig name brand just made locally by our farm store.

I shouldn’t have said “shaking” like that. You know how when you hold a chicken and then set it down the sort of puff up and shake? She tried to do that but kind of lost her balance and fell.

I will see if I have some of those human vitamins and if I do, I will make sure to put that into her food.

I will also massage her crop and give her the grit.

She is able to take a few steps, but not much more than that.
Your food sounds fine - it does not have to be a big name:)
I agree with @Eggcessive you are doing a good job taking care of her. I'm glad you explained the shaking a little more, I was worrying that she may have something neurological going on. Hopefully she will improve with the vitamins, getting extra attention and eating well.

Please keep us posted.

containing riboflavin (B2) would be best, and that rules out Poultry NutriDrench.

I did not know that!
And not that I didn’t trust you, but I looked it up. Thiamine and niacin, but no riboflavin. Wonder why?
46E41D89-D0FC-4F99-BA8F-7150AA24D3D2.jpeg

I did not know that!
And not that I didn’t trust you, but I looked it up. Thiamine and niacin, but no riboflavin. Wonder why?
View attachment 1534712
:confused: LOL I've wondered that myself!
I do keep PND, but also have Rooster Booster Poultry Cell which does have Riboflavin. I do have human B-Complex vits too:oops:

I did not know that!
View attachment 1534712
I even sent an Email once to the company and asked why? No answer. So I usually prefer to recommend Poultry Cell which has riboflavin, and is pretty identical to PND. BComplex tablets crushed on food are a good choice for most B vitamins as well.

I even sent an Email once to the company and asked why? No answer. So I usually prefer to recommend Poultry Cell which has riboflavin, and is pretty identical to PND. BComplex tablets crushed on food are a good choice for most B vitamins as well.

:highfive:
I just can’t believe as long as I have used and recommended PND, I didn’t know it. And don’t believe I’ve ever read it here before either.

Update on Daisy: we left out for errands and she was a good girl the whole time, she mostly slept I think, maybe ate or drank a bit. She is getting better at walking, she can take steps now with out falling or stumbling, she’s just more balanced in general. Her poops are all normal and she is pooping as often as a normal chicken would. Occasionally she eats by herself but she needs to be prompted/encouraged by being hand fed. Same with water, although she occasionally drinks by herself. My mom threw some clothes onto my bed and Daisy got scared, she flew/ran very fast for a few feet until she was behind me. She was totally fine afterwards and it didn’t seem to hurt her. Basically, she can walk, it’s just a bit awkward and she chooses not to most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom