Please help, not sure what the problem is...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheYLWFlock, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Good advice from all. Poultry vitamins containing riboflavin (B2) would be best, and that rules out Poultry NutriDrench. Mareks could be possible at her age, vitamin deficiency, or a possible infection or egg binding are all things to consider. Keeping her in a crate close to food and water, then letting her out often to judge how she is walking are good. I think you are dojng a great job, and it is a big deal treating a sick chicken by yourself. Feeding wet grower feed, cooked egg, tuna, or liver in small amounts are good. Keep us posted on how she is doing. Here is some reading about Mareks, but hopefully, that is not the issue:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

2. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Crowing

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    I just left the room for a minute and when I came back she had walked about three feet towards the door. We have the vitamin B so I’m crushing that up and adding it to her food.

3. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Crowing

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    Ok I just mixed up the crushed quarter of a human B-complex into fresh wet grower feed. I am giving it to her along with her electrolyte water.

I will make sure to give her some cooked egg or tuna later in the day as well.

Thank you so much,

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Your food sounds fine - it does not have to be a big name:)
    I agree with @Eggcessive you are doing a good job taking care of her. I'm glad you explained the shaking a little more, I was worrying that she may have something neurological going on. Hopefully she will improve with the vitamins, getting extra attention and eating well.

Please keep us posted.

5. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Crowing

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    Thank you all so much! I will keep you posted on her progress throughout the day!

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I did not know that!
    And not that I didn’t trust you, but I looked it up. Thiamine and niacin, but no riboflavin. Wonder why?
    46E41D89-D0FC-4F99-BA8F-7150AA24D3D2.jpeg

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :confused: LOL I've wondered that myself!
    I do keep PND, but also have Rooster Booster Poultry Cell which does have Riboflavin. I do have human B-Complex vits too:oops:

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I even sent an Email once to the company and asked why? No answer. So I usually prefer to recommend Poultry Cell which has riboflavin, and is pretty identical to PND. BComplex tablets crushed on food are a good choice for most B vitamins as well.

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    :highfive:
    I just can’t believe as long as I have used and recommended PND, I didn’t know it. And don’t believe I’ve ever read it here before either.

10. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Crowing

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    Update on Daisy: we left out for errands and she was a good girl the whole time, she mostly slept I think, maybe ate or drank a bit. She is getting better at walking, she can take steps now with out falling or stumbling, she’s just more balanced in general. Her poops are all normal and she is pooping as often as a normal chicken would. Occasionally she eats by herself but she needs to be prompted/encouraged by being hand fed. Same with water, although she occasionally drinks by herself. My mom threw some clothes onto my bed and Daisy got scared, she flew/ran very fast for a few feet until she was behind me. She was totally fine afterwards and it didn’t seem to hurt her. Basically, she can walk, it’s just a bit awkward and she chooses not to most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: