please help. not sure what this is!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VegaJones, Oct 30, 2015.

1. VegaJones

VegaJones Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Winter Haven Fl
    [​IMG]
    this happens fast within 72 hrs another has it above tail feathers. Clear eyes nice combs still laying and eating and in good spirits. Any ideas?

2. VegaJones

Aug 29, 2013
    Winter Haven Fl
    This is on her tummy. Swelled then got like this. No puss poops fine attitude is good. Doesnt even smell.

3. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    Ohh My..hope someone can help..

4. VegaJones

Aug 29, 2013
    Winter Haven Fl
    Another chicken had this before and died the third day

5. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    No idea, but it looks like a severe infection, maybe there is maggots in it? Since she may die anyway you can try soaking her in warm water for 10 minutes at a time at least, might bring out some of the infection, or maggots if there are any.

6. VegaJones

Aug 29, 2013
    Winter Haven Fl
    No maggots. Just crusty yet open. No flies around it either. Feathers fell off easily

7. Zinniah

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    I would still try and soak her in warm water, might not to anything, but it might do something, i don't think it would hurt as long as you can dry her and keep her warm.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is this growth on the vent area or the breast bone area? It's hard to tell from the picture since we can't see the whole chicken. Does the other hen's lesion look the same, or maybe you can post another picture.

9. Zinniah

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    She says it is on the stomach and the same on the other hen

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    One is on the "tummy" and one is above the tail feathers, according to the OP. If the one is on the breast area near the crop, it could be a breast blister that has become abscessed, but that almost looks like a tumor. Do your chickens have other symptoms such as sitting a lot of the time, or not roosting, but laying on the floor of the coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by