Please help, pasty butt gone bad! :(

You might have to do it several more times. I had to work on mine for a couple of days before she could poop without making a bunch of noise.

At least she has you, imagine what would happen if she'd stayed at the feed store :/

She's pooped 4-5 times by herself but I'm still watching her. Her vent is still swollen but she's eating, drinking and sleeping
263a.png

I am actually going through this right now. I am away on conference and my daughter is tending to her. She is currently soaking her. I feel so bad.

Try probiotic in the water for a week. Make sure you give them fresh water every 12 hours, discard undrunk water. Keep them clean and warm. Good luck.

"Poor Edith" is doing so much better! She's (he?) much tinier than the others her age, but her bottom looks almost completely normal. If she is a girl, I wouldn't be surprised if she couldn't lay eggs, but she's such a sweet little thing, it doesn't matter. Thank you for all of the advice! Someone told me she looked like a Mille Fluer d' Uccle at 1 week. She is almost 3 weeks now. Does that still seem to be the breed? Any ideas if my Edith is really a Bertie?

I just read this thread and found it helpful so I bumped it. I have my first cases of pasty butt four years ago when I began starting my chicks on active culture yogurt as soon as I get them, which is usually between 6-19 hours after they hatch. These chicks were a week old when I got them and they pooped after I unplugged their vents but one of them is still straining, like she has too poop.

I'll post my results tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom